Monday, June 20, 2011

June Roses And Atkins Issues

I usually get one nice crop of roses before the Japanese Beetles arrive and chew everything to bits. G brought this one in yesterday for the Father's Day Table.   We (Sam came for dinner) had grilled cheeseburgers with bacon, grilled onion, tomato, lettuce, pickles, mayo yesterday.   Very delicious.  Then G and Sam had ice cream and Riley and I chilled in the backseat of the car enjoying the summer breezes. Later, at home, I had some rhubarb sauce and Cool Whip.  3.7 net carbs.

This morning I felt fine, but now, the two HB eggs I had for breakfast don't seem to be doing good things to my system.  It feels like low blood pressure or low blood sugar.  Dizzy.  I have a MIM in the micro and hope that eating it (with cream cheese) helps.  I had planned to do a number of chores today before returning to work tomorrow.  I really can't walk the dog or go grocery shopping if I think I may faint.  I get this way pretty often in the summer when it's hot and muggy outside.  Even on regular food.  I have even blogged of worrying if I would pass out while walking the dog in past summers.  I just don't do well in hot weather.

Riley is trying very hard to be patient.  He also is not doing very well on this hot sunny day.  We have much more sun in the backyard now so it's hard for him to find a shady spot.

One of my Readers is also at the same point in Atkins as I am and it was very nice to get an email from her.  We have some of the same problems and hope we can be supportive of each other as we work our way thru the Phases.  I am thinking about moving into Phase 2.  Out of Induction. (four weeks and I have NOT lost a single pound but my clothes all fit better) Not a big step away but one that can add fresh cheeses or berries to what I have been eating.  I get to choose which step of the carb ladder to try first.  More Salad or Nuts or Berries or Dairy  My son says each of us is unique (like snowflakes) and one diet isn't going to be perfect for everyone.  So, some tweaking is necessary.

I admit to having Fiber One cereal with soy milk yesterday.  I was feeling very "relieved" a few hours later. LOL I am not getting enough fiber in my diet and will just have to adapt the food choices as best I can to continue to be regular.  This is my most serious problem with Atkins, so far.  I also need to start making more normal meals for myself.  Meat and salad is nice, but I really would like something that looks and feels like a regular dinner.

I really have been reluctant to resume regular meal preparation.  Even though most meat preparations are perfectly fine with Atkins.  I would just need to skip any sauces or the starches served alongside.

1. roast pork or sausages with fried sauerkraut (mashed potatoes or potato dumplings for G)
2. fried chicken, fried yellow summer squash, tomatoes (rice for G)
3. meatballs and marinara sauce (pasta for G)
4. Fried chicken with mixed greens and vinaigrette
5. pizza.  I know G wants this but there is no alternative for me.  My son said this was the hardest thing for him to reintroduce into his diet after Atkins.  He really has to plan for it.  The Atkins Forum had a "crust" made from melted, browned cheese.  12 ounces.  Then you add toppings.  I may try it.
6. lasagna.  One for G with noodles and one for me with slices of zucchini standing in for the noodles.

I'm looking for "TASTE".  For something that is familiar but still legal.  Wish me luck.  The Flax Muffin seems to have leveled off the sensors in my system.  I am going to try a few chores here at home before going out to the grocery or dog walk.  Just to make sure.  I have shirts to iron, dishwasher to unload, and a couch slipcover to wrangle over a couch.  Lunch will be tuna and mayo and a big salad.

1 comment:

dee said...

Now that you have stuck to this for some time, can't you modify it with perhaps the addition of very small portions of something, perhaps only on occasion, that would make you feel better. More fruit? Missing fruit season would make me an unhappy Dee. A little fresh ricotta with berries slightly macerated is a summer treat around here. YOu need an Italian market for fresh Ricotta. So different than the store bought stuff. Light and airy. How about cottage cheese and fruit to take along for your lunch? Or a small version for an afternoon snack?

Wish I could be more helpful. Roger couldn't handle the Atkins induction because of his blood sugar problems but he did fairly well on the other levels.
Don't know how you feel about eggplant but using it to make lasagna is delicious. Also eggplant caponata on lightly fried chicken breast thins is truly great. It goes well on other meats too and adds the flavor missing from not having things like pizza or pasta.