Ironweed. I remember having this in the back garden bed... I should plant more.
September 11th. I had two gals cleaning my house that day while I was getting ready to leave for work at the Library....they were screaming... I ran to find out what ?????? the three of us stood close together watching the Towers fall... the two planes crash...... tears running down our faces.....and then I went to work. Where it was very very quiet on my drive into Town. No birds...I recall that... no birds. Silence.
And then the church bell started...bong bong bong. Silence and then bong, bong, bong..... I remember it. the endless, sad sound of those bells. Planes were landing in Bangor. Where they had a long enough runway...others were turning and returning to Europe if they had enough fuel.
I remember it being a beautiful sunny day here in Maine. A Fall of Marigolds has 9-11 as a central theme. I've read the book several times. Today is another beautiful sunny day.....
So I started my second book yesterday after reading book one... "For All Time". I'm not sure but I think today is Library Day .. (it could be grocery day.) So I can get a few more books for the week (though I have plenty in the bookcase).. Reading is a good habit for me to cultivate.....to pass time each day.
Before my memory turns to dust. Most of my clearest memories are my oldest ones.
No comments:
Post a Comment