Monday, October 26, 2020

Daily Notes- October 26th- Cold, Wet, Dark


How my husband rolls with coloring.  Boxes and jars full sets of colored pens and pencils.  He has to have a large table to spread them all out.  He's coloring a calendar I bought years ago.  Consults with me regarding color choices.  To the far left is a color wheel I gave him.  I think it might be the second or third one.  They get "lost".  This one is upright as I mentioned-- it's the last one.

An old friend from Germany days called from California where they live these days.  Her husband (also a friend) is in the hospital with a heart transplant after years of being on the list.  He had been walking around- alive- with 15 pounds of batteries that kept his old original heart beating while they waited. Now they wait to see if his body rejects the new heart.  They are so brave to be doing this- now.  She is not allowed to see him- be with him.  Any hospital stay is dangerous.

She relayed some voting news- I hope she got it wrong.  In one Texas county of very poor people- only ONE absentee in person voting site.  Must drive.  It's a drive thru.  These people do not own cars.  They are not allowed to walk up.  A way to keep them from voting.  My friend wants to drive there from California and offer rides all day everyday to poor people so they can vote.  It brings tears to my eyes. She was born and lived in Germany most of her life and is now an American citizen.  And if her husband wasn't in the hospital with his new heart- she would be on the road to Texas.

My husband is going into Town to pick up a new handle for the lawnmower.  The original cracked. He says I cracked it doing circles and curves in the lawn- what he calls "crazy stuff".   I examined the handle- it was rusted around the crack site.  I'll take the blame and continue to cut the grass next summer in swirls, circles and whatever.  Because......I always have done it that way.  When he worked and was never home. I also shoveled snow on the driveway in patterns.  But he has a new snowblower for this Winter.  I actually should learn how to use it.  Plan ahead for "any eventualities".  

Did any of you see the weather news this morning.  It is snowing in Colorado and there is a wild fire burning also.  The pictures looked like Hell On Earth. Dark skies, blood red flames and snow. Horrible.

I did the weekly grocery shopping.  So many cars in the parking lot but not so many in the store itself- perhaps they all checked out while I was standing in the deli line to have ham, turkey and cheese sliced very thin for husband's lunches.  I also got a a cut off from a baked ham to use to make daughter's request for lentil soup.  Or split pea.  I got dry lentils and split peas because- I don't remember which it is.

I am going to take a nap.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know, what is with all the cars at the supermarket, and few shoppers in store? It was that way at my market too. I walked a long way in the drizzle, nasty day down here too!...................Do either you or your husband like to do jig saw puzzles? that is something to keep you occupied these cold months. I love doing them! Annie

Paula, the quilter said...

I’ve lived through those horrible fires herein. Colorado. The sky is orange or red and you have to wear a mask outside because it rains ash and scorched pine needles. It’s been like trying to breath a fireplace. Snow has never been more welcome! It has dampened some of the fire but not put it out. I am so sad about this.

Liz A said...

as bad as the news is in the sparsely populated Texas counties, it's even worse that Harris County (Houston) has but one drop off location and over 4 million residents ... the good news is that our little county south of Austin (Hays) was named by the Cook Report as the first county in the country to exceed its 2016 vote total ... although I'm thinking that says more about how anemic our voting was in 2016 ... I voted last week in a greatly expanded voting area at our city hall ... in and out in minutes and I was grateful for that ... Don is 65 so he got to drop his mail-in ballot at our county drop off the week before early voting even started

Joanne S said...

Stay safe Paula.