Thursday, October 01, 2020

Daily Notes- October 1st- 59 new Covid cases in Maine this morning


Violets are blooming on the shelf.  Grown from the gift of a small leaf from a customer.  I repotted her collection of violets every year.  And took a few leaves home to start.  These are double pinks and remind me of that lovely customer.  Friend.  I hope a new employee is doing a good job of repotting and dividing her plants.

Today the Tree Guys are here.  Two trees down.  13 to go.  They are starting in the back- away from the power lines.  The schools here decided they didn't actually "want" the tree stumps for the schools here- 6 feet apart---for outdoor learning and lunch time.  "We're all set" is the new "no".

And in comments on yesterday's post- an invitation to come back to our European home away from home.  After COVID- we will give it a lot of thought.  I think we both would enjoy it very much.

Daughter visited and wanted to go into the Attic part where her things are stored.  A door into the eaves. Her college books.  Her first apartment odds and ends.  She found a college soccer tee and an old Army bag her grandfather gave her- it will become her purse I think.  While she was looking with a flashlight--I was sitting and we were talking.  And I discovered a linen -gosh I am at a loss for the word- it's a covering for a boxspring.  A bed skirt?  Anyway the skirt part is white linen.  So I found scissors and cut away the box spring covering part and kept the linen part.  Took it down to use in Fall dye experiments.

I was also thinking about Dee's house quilts with the lovely skies in patterned blues.  So I went into the closet and looked for blues.  Ignoring the patterns.  Just looking for blues the color of sky.  Two.  And they are now down in the Little Closet now.  Ready when I am.

I used to make House Quilts.  For friends moving to new places or buying new homes.  While I sewed the little quilts I thought happy thoughts of a good safe home for my friends.  I want to do that again.  But not for anyone in particular- but just to be thinking happy thoughts of safe homes.  Fate has a funny way of taking care of projects like this- someone will ask....... I will be ready.


1 comment:

Deb Lacativa said...

I loved African Violets when we lived in NY. My mother-in-law had dozens all spectacular and taught me the trick of getting the best from them. I'd buy the 25 cent nearly deaders from the grocery store and resurrect them. Think I'll look for some . Thanks for reminding me how pretty they can be.