Thursday, October 22, 2020

Daily Notes- October 22nd- Sunshine 49 new COVID cases (another church gathering)


A visit to the library and a gift from the reference librarian.  An Atlas of Maps.  Not all at once but, I think if his Nana is okay with it, the very large book could be sent via post office at some point in Time. There is plenty of Time.

I lived in the surrounding areas of Atlanta for six almost seven lovely years.  The city where both my children were born is not on this map- perhaps it doesn't exist any more?  Had a very large and modern hospital.  Austell. Could be under a runway.

I am having some trouble breathing today.  Used the rescue inhaler.  Wearing the mask out in public is hard for me.  Not enough oxygen.  But...the upside, I can't spent too much time in public places. Safer that way.   

I was thinking about why I stopped making pieced quilts.  I don't like the cutting of pieces one has to do with a pattern.  I don't mind the fussy machine stitching- that was okay with me- and now- in my "old age" I can hand sew.  Needle turn appliqué. No deadlines.  But pressing the cloth, cutting out the pattern pieces with the rotary cutter and a see thru ruler .....  And the "rules"........ this goes here and not there.  Etc.  

I liked the "look" of Freddy Moran's house quilt.  I have all the fabric necessary to make one almost identical to the one in the book.  Yes, almost identical.  But Freddy made a few errors (she admits) in fabric placement.  I wouldn't.  But what would I do with yet another quilt????  Husband and daughter say I should just make a very small one- just four houses (or nine houses- I like the number nine).  I'm not even sure about that.  But it would give me work to do going into November, December and January.  I just need to find a chair for the sewing machine.  Husband has the one I have been using for years and years.  He's that kind of guy.  What someone else has is what he wants.

I'm the sort that looks at what someone else has and figures out how to make something better.

Let's make one house.  See how it feels.  I might just hate the whole process at 74.  And loved it at 47. 

I found the recipe card for cranberry orange loaf (my recipe box is packed with a zillion cards in no obvious order anymore) and will be making it today.  I have had the fresh cranberries in the fridge for a few weeks now.  Time to bake something.  I also am going to thaw out a few of the foil wrapped frozen bananas and make a loaf of banana bread with chocolate chips for husband (if THAT card can be found) and I think that recipe would use some of that yogurt my neighbor gave me.  He doesn't like cranberry loaf.  I always have a few frozen bananas in the freezer- in case I want to make a smoothie.  I haven't wanted one- so they get made into banana bread.  Eventually.  My goal is to make more room in the freezer for chicken thighs (soup) and ice cream (me).  I need more goals like this.

3 comments:

Liz A said...

I love maps ... and I hate cutting cloth into measured bits ... these days I snip an edge and then tear long strips ... the sound of tearing cloth is delicious

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Looking forward to seeing that one house. It's worth a try, you might love it!

Joanne S said...

Liz, I think library people like maps. I was a Library Person for many years and loved working the circ desk.
I also love the sound of cloth ripping. I may look at the cutting diagram and see if tearing strips would get me going. Then cutting the strips into squares etc. thank you for that. And I might appliqué a garden around the house I make.