Thursday, July 12, 2018

Daily Notes: July 12th


What grows in the dark of the Moon?

Today I vacuumed the floors and carpets.  I had enough of dog hair puffs along the baseboards.  And I decided to give it a go as they say and try washing a throw rug in the washer.  Last time--I flooded the bedroom carpet (washer is in master bath).  This time--it has gone well.  Now in the dryer tumbling with the three wool dryer balls.   It will feel good to have the rug between the kitchen and television area--CLEAN. Until Riley or G track in some dirt.

I also.....sigh.....changed the bobbin thread in my sewing machine--which involved breaking the sewing needle and then searching the carpeting for the sharp tip--then dropping it-----then searching again.   Finally thread up top and in bobbin --I held my breath to see if we could stitch.  The Bernina is such a Princess.  Works only if she feels like it.

But.....she felt like it and the last quilting is done, the baby quilt is trimmed and ready for binding.  I used to love making and using binding.  Now, I seem to have forgotten it all.  And I have no idea how to do this.  Well, I can remember cutting strips and sewing them together at an angle so the strips are all straight.  Getting it on the quilt and turning the corner.......not a clue anymore.

I have a new Yrsa Crime/Thriller to read.  I finally got and read book one in the series.  I like Thora, the lawyer who gets asked to investigate crimes.  She isn't at all interested in crimes but does a good job of it--eventually.  What I like most is that every other chapter is about her personal life.  She has just met a German Bank Security person and I know, from reading books further along, that they have some sort of relationship.  I am interested in how they got from meeting to where they were in the first two books I read out of order.

It was that way with the Wallander books as well.  I liked Kurt (at first) and so I read the entire series. By the last few books, Kurt was no longer someone I would like to meet.  The author had Kurt doing stupid, mean things.  Turned out the author was giving Kurt Alzheimer's and putting an end to the series.

G is out in the fenced garden re-arranging the grape vines, watering where the sprinkler doesn't reach and as I saw when I finished the sewing on the baby quilt--pulling the strawberry plants out of the first left side bed.  I get no berries.  The chipmunks eat them all.  So wasted space.  The plants will make good compost.  It's a good day to be out there as it's cloudy --as I typed this the sun came out.


No comments: