Saturday, January 19, 2013

Thank Goodness They Didn't Have My Size



I found these delightful shoes on a blog I was reading.  Regular price was $325 and sale price was $175.  They had already sold out my size (and that was the largest size they came in) and the description mentioned a tight fit.  I don't like tight shoes even if the maker says they "stretch when worn".  How do you wear them when they are tight?  I already have ballerina flats that I try and stretch while wearing socks with them.  Not working so far. I do have a pair of shoes that I bought last Winter.  Have never worn them.  Not exactly what I wanted but nice looking with tights and have a low heel.  Comfortable.  Why haven't I worn them???  Oh, because I never had anywhere to wear a skirt and they are too old lady to wear with jeans.

I have straightened out all my Unemployment papers and got a partial payment for that first week.  I had gotten about twelve different mailings since Wednesday.  And yesterday I got a batch from Social Security.  Remember me mailing a big check to Medicare for my Part B?  Well, Social Security notified me they are taking out Medicare Part B from each monthly check.  So I will have paid twice from January to March.  I hope they figure it out without me having to make phone calls.  My check is smaller than I had hoped.  And will be even smaller after they take out Part B.  But, as G says, its more than nothing.

This year I am widening my possible job search.  To include possibilities I hadn't considered.  Jobs where I have no experience.  Because, my greenhouse job (that I love) is a job where I applied with no experience and it has turned out very well.  Perhaps there is another job out there I would like as much or more?  Faux painting of murals as an example.

I made a 5 pound pot roast yesterday. It was on sale this week.  The house smelled wonderful as it roasted away in the oven.  We had mashed potatoes, baby green peas and cole slaw with the meat and gravy.  I also made pan of brownies for G to have for dessert.  He's eaten all the chocolate cookies I baked before Christmas.  I made SF jello for myself but didn't have any.

I find, when trying to save money on food, that shopping the perimeter and buying whatever is on sale is the least expensive.  So I bought a huge pork butt roast and had them cut the pot roast for me.  Next time I am going for a 6 to 7 pound pot roast.  Bigger is better.  More leftovers to work with.  Russet potatoes were $2.48 for a large bag.  Grapefruit was on sale.  Carrots were 3 pounds for $2.  I read that buying things "by the bag" is always cheaper.  I tried the store brand of bacon and it is even better than the brand I was paying more for.  Do you have any ways of saving grocery dollars?

G is trying to match, cut and install the crown molding on the dish cupboard.  The last bit of finish work on the kitchen "re-do".  He has been up and down from the kitchen to the above the garage workshop (it's very cold today) and is bundled up.  Many trips.  Lots of measuring trying to get the complex cut to match.  We only have a limited amount of usable trim pieces.  Front piece is being nailed up as I type and the side piece is next up.  It looks good.

No comments: