Thursday, January 17, 2013

I Went For A Ride In The Car And Feel Better


I sometimes think I get house sick.  Too much time here in the house.  Not enough time in the outside world, breathing different air.  Not a lot of air.  I don't want the flu.  I can't remember if you have seen this kitchen before?  I like the island a great deal.  And those hanging lamps.

My fridge is now "balanced" and "level" and working less and producing no frost in the freezer drawer.  I gave it a little pat and rubbed off the fingerprints that marred it's shiny surface.  We're happy again.

We went to the library to return books and pick out a few new ones.  As usual, by the time I got home, there was an email notice that I had a book to pick up.  I asked while there and it didn't seem to help.

Yesterday, I received 6 letters from Unemployment.  And in each letter 2 full color, glossy flyers relating the joys of unemployment fraud and the joys of prison.  This is how they choose to spend money.  All the letters come from the same office and each has separate postage.  Two said exactly the same thing.  Two contradicted each other.  Two were Work Search Logs for two different addresses. I have no idea which one to fill out.   What I would enjoy getting is prepaid envelopes.  So I could send all the flyers back to them.

My head hurts today.  Sinus pressure.  I think a low pressure weather system is coming into Maine.  Its' supposed to be very cold tonight.  We had about 6 inches of snow yesterday.  Today the roads are black and the snow is melting.  All the clean snow is already dirty.

I stopped at the health food store to buy some tapioca flour.  I think there was some sort of recipe that uses it.  Can't remember. Waffles? I skipped the coconut butter for a loaf of bread I saw on the internet.  Coconut butter, eggs and macadamia nuts.  About $16 a loaf.  I don't want bread that badly. And what if it's terrible?  Most of these "science experiments" are awful. I bought organic pop corn and nutritional yeast for a Hippie Pop.  With lots of butter it could be fun.  I tasted the yeast and it's sort of cheesy.  The blog the popcorn came from suggests dill and the yeast.  Sort of Little Lad. Which I don't like. I also fell under the magnetic, mind altering spell of Swiss Mueslix.  God, I love that stuff.  Someone told me to eat a cookie.  My "cookie" would be Mueslix and cream.  It's now in the cupboard.  Last time I bought some I waited 5 or 6 weeks before actually opening the box.

I think a bowl of heavily buttered popcorn will be enough of a treat for this week.  One new food a week.  Last week it was butter fried potatoes.  And that may not have been a good idea as I got a look at myself in the mirror at Goodwill.  No matter what my family says--I look fat.  My pants are swishing around me giving the impression I am not fat.  But a mirror doesn't lie. Awful.  I did buy the cutest little sleeveless summer shift.  It zipped but not without a great deal of effort.  But I would NOT want to try sitting down in it.  It is going to be my new "test" clothing item.  When it fits.  I will be happy.  Maybe. But if (when) it fits I will have something to wear when everyone else is wearing a little cotton dress this summer.  The dress reminds me of the dresses I wore in 1968.  I would have loved this dress in 1968.  With a little cream cardigan.

I may go up into the attic and find the needle turn appliqué blocks I stored up there.  I am thinking I should finish that project.  Or just look at it and perhaps share the blocks with you.  You'd like that.



1 comment:

Paula, the quilter said...

Did you know that I work in a sculptor's studio? Mirrors everywhere. Big mirrors about 10x12 FEET! And mirrors on rollers so he can see 360 degrees. I don't like these mirrors as several are like fun house mirrors that make me look a bit like a troll. Glad the fridge is doing better.