Wednesday, January 23, 2013

More Country Baltimore Blocks


This block has the sawtooth sashing added.  I just wanted (at the time) to see what it looked like and if it actually fit on the block.  I like how the corners would make a star.   I think this was one of the pattern blocks.  I guess Country or Primitive meant plain as well.


 I made this one from a few different patterns.  I don't like the fabric I selected for the bird bodies and the birds are just floating with no branch or twig to sit on.  It doesn't work with the other blocks even though two other blocks have these same birds.  And the wide expanses of green leaf doesn't work for me either. Perhaps I could cut the leaf open and do reverse appliqué veins? I don't think I knew how then.


Two of the buds have a bit of pattern on them which gives a bit of "sparkle" to the surface.  Only two.  Why didn't I recut the parts for the other two?  And the yellow.  By the time I had gotten this far, I was tired of the solid fabrics I had chosen (and the greens) and I had started adding "new" fabrics which wasn't the best of ideas.  I actually like this block.  It fills the space and has lots of elements to keep the eye busy.  In real life this yellow is much paler.  Lemony.  And the red is more red not so orange.  I do like the red being more orange and wish I had actually USED orange.

It's cold today and we are going to the grocery store.  G is out of all his breakfast supplies.  I made a very large pot of chicken soup yesterday and I have one more big bowl of the tomato kale soup.  I used the wrong tomato (frozen garden cherry tomatoes) and it's too sweet and the kale is a bit stinky.  Or I just don't care for it anymore.  I am having problems finding good low carb things to eat that are warm and wintery.  I just want to eat starchy, hot things out of a bowl in the winter.  Usually, we ate tons of pasta.  I think I will buy ground beef or a few pounds of chuck and make a large pot of chili.  No beans.  And eat it with cheddar and sour cream.  And avocado.

Watched Eat, Pray, Love last night.  I had read the book long ago.  It was okay.  Not great.  Movie was the same.  She still came across as terribly whiny.  Did I mention how cold it is?

1 comment:

Annie said...

Yeah, cold, cold, cold! It's been a few years since we've seen these below zero and single number daytime temps. Glad I got my errands done on Monday so I don't have to go out for a few days.

Ha, I'm glad you like those orange colors that aren't orange. It would be fabulous in orange.I thought I was the only one who is a fan of orange, most people don't like it. None the less, it's fabulous as is,and look at that border, beautiful! You must finish that up, there's got to be something you can do with it, sell it if nothing else. You do lovely work! I'm a huge applique fan.