Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Great Expectations For Dogs


Riley is in a bit of a snit today as things aren't going as he had planned.  If dogs plan.  And I think they do.  He napped during our breakfast and newspaper reading and then expected to be going out for a walk.  G is working on the door.

G is finding the dog's expectations to be annoying. (surprise!!!)  Now he knows how I have felt about being home with the dog (alone) in past winters.  All Riley wants is to go for a walk.  And then another.  When he was 1 or 2 years old, we were out walking all day long, it seemed.  Then we got the Invisible Fence and G expected Riley to amuse himself outdoors.  Hah!  He sits on the deck and stares into the house.  The only time he runs around the yard is when one of us is outside with him.  I know. You think he needs a dog sibling.  I think we are a ONE DOG family. Though I wouldn't mind if someone dropped their dog off here for the day.  And that dog had an electric collar on our frequency.

Today's breakfast was the wheat berries I cooked last week topped with pomegranate arils, olive oil and Balsamic vinegar.  Not on my diet but they needed to be eaten (waste not) and they were delicious and very attractive in my bowl.  Chewy.  Now I wait to see what digestive mischief they will cause.  My new diet suggests eating the majority of your carbs in one meal.  I think that is what it said.

I finished my new mystery by Inger Ashe Wolfe, Door In The River.  It's the third in the series.  This is a fake name for a well known author writing mysteries, which are beneath serious fiction authors.  I guess.  The three mysteries are very good.  They start out the way a roller coaster ride does.  Slowly. Just moving around the track, picking up speed, letting you look around while the car climbs to the top of the first big dip.  After that, hang on.  Hazel isn't your typical policeman.  Middle aged, bad back and bitchy.  No people skills.  I don't think I would like her very much if she lived next door.  But I would go get her if something bad happened at my house or to my family.

I have the choice of a good Norwegian mystery next or another time travel romance. Hard to choose.

I sliced and salted the two eggplant I bought on Saturday. Quarter inch slices from top to bottom, lengthwise. I plan to bread and fry them later today.  We still have a few meatballs and marinara and that sounds like an okay supper.  Fried food is high in fat content and I intend to top them with cheese if I don't eat most of them during the frying. I grew to adore fried eggplant when I learned how to make it from a New Jersey transplant to South Florida (we both worked for the same company).  She regularly brought fried eggplant sandwiches for lunch.  If she had worked there longer, I would have learned to make more Italian dishes, earlier.

My grocery has beef pot roasts and pork butt roasts on sale this week.  I like both.  I also need some carrots, brown sugar, bacon and more eggs.  And another jar of peanut butter.  But that means getting out of pajamas and into clothes.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I sympathize with you. My husband is just going back to work this week after spending nearly 5 weeks at home. He had surgery on an ankle and was non-weight bearing for those weeks. Our dogs, a yellow lab and the other a lab cross, believe that he exists only to walk them, daily. They are used to a 3 mile trek and are so happy they cannot sit still as my husband gets ready to take them. Their main cue seems to be his shoes, as he wears certain ones for walking. It took them quite a long time to realize that walkies weren't going to happen. This meant hours of whining, shoe examination and "false alarms" at the door. I manage to take them once or twice a week, but they still persist in thinking that THIS is the day he will take them. Creatures of habit. We have the invisible fence as well, and they do just what Riley does. Its going to be at least another month until DH has rehabbed enough to take them. Sigh
Tracy

Joanne S said...

In reply to Tracy- I would have to send G to a hotel if he was here in the house and not walking the dog. I can't imagine how awful that was for you!!! And two of them.

Yes, Riley has his cue's and I think it is putting on shoes also. I have black boots and he knows we are going outside when I wear them--just to garden but he's okay with that.