Friday, January 11, 2013

An End Of The Week Update


My high fat/low protein diet is working out better than I had hoped.  I am eating just two meals a day with no snacks.  Not hungry.  Dry, metallic taste in my mouth which makes drinking lots of water easier. A reader sent me some suggestions for smoothies. Some with kale in them.  I think I like the idea of a smoothie but have never made one.  The internet has tons of smoothies but mostly for body builders before and after lifting weights.  Paleo is mostly body builders or runners.  Then there's people like me.  Just want a smaller rear end.

The kitchen is getting ready for the new fridge.  YES. YES. YES. I bought it yesterday and it arrives on Sunday. It's all French Doors, Stainless, Bottom Freezer Drawer.  G is working on floor repairs and we will be dragging the old creepy fridge into the dining room area while he works on the floor.  G needs a shut off valve for the ice maker water supply.  Water is now dripping into a pail.  Our troubles have always been water problems.

And we have always had problems with the ice maker supply which is why G is repairing the flooring under the fridge.  The great flood during that big ice storm.  When the power goes off for 6 days--shut off the water supply to the ice maker.  Just a hint.  I remember walking into the kitchen that icy cold morning and stepping into a sea of water.  My heart sank and I used every bath towel we owned to soak it up, but water kept coming.  G was at work.  So he told me how to go into the crawl space and crawl, literally, in the dark with a flashlight and look for the kitchen area and find the tube shut off and turn it then back upstairs to see if it was off (not the first time and not today either) and then back down (it was like 12 degrees outside and inside with no heat) and then it was off and I had to hand wring the water out of the towels and then try to soak up more water.  Then wring and hang them in the garage to hopefully dry or just freeze solid.  Delightful memories.  I remember crying.  Oh, yeah.  And that was only the second or third day.  I had 3 or 4 more days to go.  In the dark, cold and with the wood stove giving me a terrible respiratory problem that took weeks to get over.  The ice maker tube brings back terrible memories.

Unemployment has already sent a letter saying I must call immediately along with a page of Unemployment Fraud Offenses.  I think my last day of work was my last day of the week at work but actually the start of a new week for Unemployment.  So I will have to send them a check for the amount I made on Sunday the 23rd.  I am writing in big letters on the 2013 December calendar sheet.  "Do Not Work On The Last Sunday".  Sigh.   I have called three times and the recorded message says they can't take any calls.  Period.

I do not even want to tell you about Medicare.  G sent them an envelope about an inch thick with photocopies.  People say I will be happy to have it.  I am not happy as of now.

I have had several terrifying moments since the emptying of the business desk drawers and the placement of business desk papers in new places.  Looking for important things and unpaid bills.  It has definitely NOT been fun.  I made sure I didn't shred anything.  So, in a pinch, I can dig around in the waste baskets or garbage bags.  Certainly has a loosening effect on the bowels.


No comments: