Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Winter Entertaining

N brings up an interesting dilemma when it comes to wanting to entertain in the winter here in Maine. You plan the party, send out the invitations, clean the house, make the food and drink....... and sit and wait. Most don't call. Others call to say it's too cold, too dark, too snowy, too likely to snow or that they decided to attend two or more parties in one evening. Yours, if first, for a few moments, and if someone else is first, they stay there for the evening.

And it's not like I give horrible parties or bad food. People who actually arrive and stay, have a really good time. And it's not just me. My neighbor across the street had a Christmas Party one December that began at 6 and everyone had gone home by 7:15. And that included the people who arrived after 6:30. Because I lived across the street, I stayed and finished my dinner and even had dessert. All had lived in Maine since birth but were afraid the snow falling softly was going to "cause trouble" if they stayed.

Last year, at Christmas, I had two very small dinners. One guest. And the next time, a couple. Both went very well. They showed up and stayed. Ate their food, drank the wine and we laughed and talked. Made me want to do it more often. But I haven't.

What happens when you invite people over?

1 comment:

Deborah Boschert said...

Have you noticed on those home decorating shows, the homeowners always say, "We like to entertain." I always wonder if they really do.