Thursday, December 17, 2009

Winter Arrives in Four Days

It's very cold today. Fourteen degrees. G, Riley and I spent the day driving in a big circle. I wanted socks that a discount house advertised. When we finally got there, no socks. And not much of anything else we wanted. We nearly had run out of gas in the car by the time we reached Gray. The McDonald's was on the corner and so we went in for a coffee. I had a plain decaf and G had the hot Mocha with 6 shots of chocolate and whipped cream. Then we followed a Portland city bus to Forest Avenue and the Art Supply. No black brush pens. But I did purchase a Neo Color I set of 30 water resistant crayons. $50. 40 crayons was $69. We stopped next door at Big Sky Bakery and got a loaf of whole wheat pumpkin bread. Then we drove home. Left here at 12:20 and returned at 5 pm.

G wanted to stop in Portland and eat @ our favorite restaurant, but it was too cold for the dog to be in the car. Alone. And Riley was hungry for his supper. So we did what was best for the dog.

G and I had Thanksgiving Dinner last night. Baked sweet potatoes, a deli roasted turkey breast, Stove Top Stuffing, cranberry sauce and gravy. We are having it again tonight. So good on a cold winter (almost) night.

Survivor is winding down to the big ending on Sunday. Will Russell win a million dollars? I have five West Wing episodes waiting to be watched. I have spent the past two evenings reading. Such an interesting, exciting book. The Girl Who Played With Fire. I am also reading French Milk when I am at the dining room table. And I have returned to my daily habit of writing in my journal on the right hand page and making a small collage on the left hand page.

I am trying to decide what my optimum working situation is here at home. I think it's a spare look. Clean, uncluttered table surface. Good natural light. All my supplies to my left. And nothing else. The good natural light is important. The room my studio is in right now, is dark. Northwest side of the house. The room I like best is on the Southwest side of the house. Bright, warm and sunny until 3 pm. This is where I did the colored pencil Christmas cards and where I write in my journal every morning. The space I am going to be moving into is upstairs, over the bedroom wing of the house and on the south western side. Two medium sized skylights provide natural light which will shine on the work table surface. My sewing machine will be on the west side of the room by a window. To my right, two large wire carts on wheels with drawers for the supplies like threads, rulers, scissors, fabric selected for the project etc. which can be rolled over to the left of the work table when I am working there. The carpeted floor (installed when this was to be the guest suite) will be a problem when I paint fabric. I have my own bathroom upstairs and can bring up my electric hot water kettle for tea. I worked upstairs many years ago, when I weighed a lot more, and my knees couldn't take going up and down the stairs several times a day. Now, that isn't a problem.

I think my optimum work situation away from home (paid) would have some of the same criteria. Spare, clean surroundings. Good, natural light. Uncluttered. Supplies to my left. Perhaps dry feet?

I had thought I would have an hour today to sew on the pink piece. I still have dinner to reheat and the Spaghetti Bread to prepare and bake. And my book to read. And it's almost 6. I have wasted another day. But I have my Neo Color crayons. Do you think I have to wait for Christmas to open them?

2 comments:

MariMo said...

Now I know in which room "my" wonderful Christmas card was created. We received it the day before yesterday. It is lovely and we enjoy it a lot. You seem so motivated at the moment, that if I were you, I would open the Crayon box today. Why wait until Christmas - such a waste of creative energy!

dee said...

Open that box and enjoy.
I think Russell is going to screw himself right out of winning. I think he'll win Player of the season easily. That's a pretty good prize in itself.
Stay warm