Thursday, December 03, 2009

It's Raining, It's Pouring - In The House

Yes. I woke up and discovered wet floors, dog bed, dog toys and even the dining room table is wet. I have buckets out to catch the water but I'm sure the insulation under the bead board ceiling is soaked. And now it's coming in over the windows. We're looking at a really big problem. I called our roofer. I think he's probably off at his camp, hunting. It's what Mainers do in November and December. I'm doing all I can do, now. My intuition kept drawing my eyes to the roof EVERY time I was outdoors. I didn't listen. Didn't I say I wanted to be more receptive to my intuitive side?????

Riley also shredded up all the catalogs, paper bags and other recycling he found in the recycling box. He sees the box as an extension of his toy box. And he shreds paper when he's nervous or bored. I'd say all the water dripping on him made him nervous. So I will need to buy another lidded trash can just for paper recycling. While I'm buying, why not two "stainless" ones.

I feel like I have water dripping on me over here by the computer. Which is impossible as the roof slopes the wrong way and this area has a double roof. Knowing myself, I will feel like I have water dripping on me all day and night till this is fixed or it stops raining. Which it may have done.

I worked on the four poms you saw yesterday. Adding pages from old dictionaries (with pom definitions) to the backgrounds. They still look unfinished. So I am looking and deciding on any future moves. I tend to over correct and ruin good work. I still have no ideas for this year's cards, and that is beginning to worry me.

I sorted out two huge stacks (36 inches high) of fabric to give away to a crafter I met at Art Club. I sorted through my fabric closet and asked "would I buy this now?" and if I said no, it went on the pile. My daughter felt I should go back through and keep half. And I honestly told her that making bed quilts holds no portion of my interest. And I have the fabric set aside for at least 8 quilt projects (large ones) right now plus finishing 3 or 4 others which should be enough, if I decide to make quilts. Plus, I enjoy painting my own fabric now. And working small. And working small uses up almost no fabric. Those piles going away, feels like an anchor slipping off my foot.

The Gas Betty last night was wonderful. G was so happy. He likes meat. I tweaked the old remembered recipe with my new "chef" skills and it made a big difference. Watching all those cooking shows has improved my cooking. Watched the Top Chef finals and still unhappy that they made simple mistakes (over salting, under salting, under cooking). They should be better.

I'm going to lunch with my walking buddy in two hours. We haven't walked or talked in months. She is going through a rough patch with family problems. And she won't talk about them. So we will eat, drink and be merry. And ignore the 3000 pound gorilla.

The SUN! It stopped raining and the sun just showed up. I can still feel imaginary drips falling on me, here at the desk, far away from the leaking skylight and chimney.

Today, I have a lunch date, have to get the dog's new license, drop off books at library, think of something to wear to the company Christmas party on Sunday (no jeans) and the bank cocktail party on Thursday. Julia & Julie comes out on DVD on December 8. My bowl is full.

The roofer just called and a crew will be arriving anytime now. How's that for good fortune?

I'm going to go take a shower and get dressed to go to lunch. I'll walk the dog later.

1 comment:

dee said...

Sorry about the roof.
Have a great day anyway. Getting rid of stuff does make you feel wonderful. I donated three huge bags of stuff that's been getting moved from one space to the next for months. It felt so good to see those bags go.
Can't wait for the Julie/Julia movie.