Tuesday, December 01, 2009

It's December One

I worked hard yesterday, at work, and tried to stay warm. I brought a frozen container of soup for lunch and it thawed nicely in the "very powerful" microwave. So I had a nice, hot lunch. Then back to the even colder greenhouse and the "Christmas Room" which is actually a wire table on a tower of cement blocks, at the back of the greenhouse, next to uninsulated glass doors, which open alot. 40 degrees outside and 40 degrees inside. Yesterday was the "big delivery day" of ordered wreaths, points, trees and roping for commercial use. The library order was ready and it went out after I arrived with the credit card info. Two guys delivered 53 points to various doctor's offices. Point = Poinsettia.

I got to unload 6 carts of points, Christmas cactus, azaleas, and cyclamen. Very splashy colors. Red, white, pink. The greenhouse is a sea of points. At least 12 tables full.

We were selling quite a few wreaths and holiday boxes yesterday. So we were busy making fill ins and back up stock. Trying to "keep up" while doing everything else (watering and customer service). It's been cool and cloudy so the greenhouse is damp. No real need for anything but spot watering, clean up and row straightening. We like straight rows. I did get to discuss citrus care, Christmas cactus flowering lifespan and terrarium construction with customers.

Even though I had my journal ready, my stamps and stamp pads at hand, glue stick, paints and pom model all out on the dining room table (newly cleared for Thanksgiving dinner), I did none of those things. I had a hot shower, warmed up the remainder of the non-meat leftovers, turned on the evening news and then answered the phone and talked with G's brother for an hour (G was working EOM). R was making his annual "happy birthday" call. To say these two brothers aren't "close" doesn't even begin to describe their relationship. They are five years apart with no in between siblings. Two strangers who happened to have the same address. When people meet both (after having known one for a while) they are perplexed. They always think R is the older brother. He isn't. They think the "brother" thing is a joke. It isn't. They ask if they are step brothers. They aren't. One is blond, blue eyed, outgoing and naturally thin. The other burly, barrel chested, dark eyed and the complete opposite of outgoing. I like them both. R was doing chain saw carving for a few years (we have a beautiful black bear he carved) but stopped (they weren't selling) and is now thinking of learning how to paint. The Bob Ross method. He has been watching the public tv programs on late night television. R can stay up late. G is asleep by 8:30.

The sun is shining this morning. Riley has done his morning toilette, eaten breakfast and barked at the garbage truck. Now, Ri and square Bob are napping in the sunshine until G wakes up. Which will be around 10am. I am deciding if I want oatmeal or shredded wheat for my breakfast.

Art Club this evening. I have crackers and plan to make a chutney cheese spread to share while we make cards. The emails promise "lots of stamps". I still have no clear idea on my own card design. I do want to stitch, but not that thrilled about poking holes in the card stock with an awl. The card carrier that I purchased to hold the art is pretty elaborate so the Tree needs to be simple, graphic and clearly a Tree. I do have a large enough piece of carving material and could carve a tree. And stamp it. No stitching.

My bowl this morning will be filled with oatmeal. My head with ideas.

2 comments:

dee said...

Sounds like you have a good day ahead. Stay warm. Our temps finally dipped to the low 40s-time to get the gloves out.
The chutney cheese spread sounds good.

Annie said...

I had to chuckle when I got to the part where you spoke about the brother-in-law and the black bear chain saw carving. I have one of those in my back yard made by a guy in Rangely, Maine. It was made for my mother who passed it on to me.

I absolutely love him, he's been standing in my backyard for years, and rather realistic to be sure.

: )