Thursday, August 16, 2018

Daily Notes- August 16


Tomatoes.   Tomato Sandwiches.   BLT's.  Tomato with fresh mozzarella and basil. And eventually, Fresh Tomato Soup with homemade cheese dumplings.

I really have to find a good loaf of soft squishy bread for a nice juice-sopping sandwich.  The kind where you eat it over the sink as tomato juice runs down your arms.

Phone call from the "way back times"--wow was that unexpected and FUN!  I'd been thinking of Barbara as I went hunting in the Attic.  She was the "giver" of that soft, tender white old fabric I have been using for my squares and my plant based dye-ing.  So, she was on my mind.  We still use the old landline--so she tried that number and was thrilled to get me.  We've now traded email addresses.

What a lovely phone call--

I've been doing laundry most of the morning.  G has been pulling weeds.  For some odd but fortunate reason--he actually enjoys pulling weeds.  Weed pulling is dirty work--- equals laundry.

I pulled the squash vines out of one of the Earth Boxes.  There was nothing much happening and the box looked trashy.  So now the greenery is in the compost pile.  And since I am not making pickles this Summer--no need for zucchini.  If I need any--the grocery has zucchini from a local farm.  The pickling cucumbers are headed for the compost heap if they continue to only make flowers and no cucumbers.  Plenty of bees -so pollination isn't the problem.

I wash and hung my plant based dye fabrics up in the guest bedroom.  When I finish here I am going to iron them and see what I have.  I re-dyed three very pale yellowish pieces right after opening the steamed packages yesterday-- No use for washed out yellow.  The onion skins colored the cloth with deep yellows and oranges.  Some pattern from the skins.  Very nice.  The Purple smoke leaves are again very faint but there is a ghostly shadow there that I like.  I did some red cabbage--for a blue.

Anyway.  The sun is shining.  Humidity in the mid-70% range.

Now--squishy soft bread at the grocery store.




1 comment:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

yes. eating over the sink.