Sunday, March 17, 2013

New Beginnings


I am thinking that my year actually begins right now.  With Spring.  In March.  This is when I try and start a new habit and move in a new direction.  The past few months I have been analyzing the things I do.  Seeing if they "work" often enough to keep or if I need to change things up.  Freshen things up.

Art Club works.  The 10x10 works.  The Smiling works.  Our retirement is working, a few ruffled feathers this week but, well, that happens.  Netflix works.  Teaching works.  Seed Starting works. One evening for just reading books works.

What isn't working is my diet.  What isn't working is the clutter everywhere in this house, yard and garage.

G and I talked last night about a systematic removal of things we no longer need from the house, attic and garage. (emotional baggage)  I told him I did not want our children to have to deal with our mess after we are gone or in the event of having to move when we are too elderly to do it ourselves.  His workshop is being straightened up but I told him he needs to be honest about what he will and will not be doing in that workshop.  Just as I am headed into my old studio (still have not moved upstairs, completely) where the stuff I may never use is located.  G suggests 30 minutes at first.  It is overwhelming and depressing to see all the stuff you have gathered.  And my studio looks like a disaster area.  Hard to find a space to walk.  So, 30 minutes.

I have also begun writing things on the To Do List of things that need to be done around here (eventually) --mostly outside.  While we were driving back home yesterday I noticed that the farmers had big piles up--for burning.  We need to work on that as well.  I want trellises in my vegetable garden.  G wants big cushy chairs with ottomans on the deck for long naps.  He has forgotten the mosquitos.

WORK TOMORROW!!!  I am getting my work clothes out from under my unemployment clothes (pajamas).  I plan to see if any of it still fits.  Today--not tomorrow morning. I have to wear stuff that dries quickly as I get wet from the knees to my toes nearly everyday from now to December.  And dirty.  I am always dirty.  Cannot WAIT!!!!  And the best part of any work day is getting home and into a very hot shower and then my pajamas.  If I was able--a frosty gin and tonic would be the perfect drink after work.  Perhaps I should think about "being able" to have a G&T.  It's March.  New Beginnings.


2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Fantastic. I'm so happy you are looking at new beginnings. You seem actually excited about it...not only going back to work but getting a handle on things at home. When I began, it was overwhelming but by taking small steps each day I could comfortably handle it. And accomplishing one thing on my list gave me energy and commitment to continue. Good luck. But really, I know you'll do fine!!!

MariMo said...

I like the 30-minute approach. Will try it out in our basement.