Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Intense Orange Blossoms


A very nice thing to have on an overcast March day.  My new camera took this on the auto setting.  The subtle changes in the oranges against each other is so very nice.  I don't know which flowers I like the best.  The red or the orange.  My Streptocarpus (Cape Primrose) is sending up one tiny flower stem after surviving the ravages of mealy bug all winter.  I need to repot them.  The soil is very compacted and sheds water. Everybody is getting a dose of microbes with their water this week.  Getting the roots ready for the big push into Spring.  My Calamondin orange has three fruits ripening to orange. A first.

All in all, my overwintering this season has been 100% better than usual.  Being downstairs with me, instead of up in the guest bedroom, alone, is making a huge difference.  Duh!

I dusted the bedroom this morning.  Yes.  It is a big deal.  I had to climb up on the bed to do the top of the four poster rungs.  Very dusty up there.  I also dusted all the furniture tops and tops of all the framed art.  And Buddha.  And the leaves of the fake orchid next to Buddha.

I also hand washed two wool sweaters.  I always wash my favorite grey cashmere after frying meatballs and breaded eggplant.  Very greasy.  (and yes, I wear the sweater always because what would I be saving it for?) And G had a sweater waiting for a wash.  G is the kind of guy who wears something once, maybe twice, and expects it to be clean and ironed, ready for the next time he wants to wear it.  Hand washed sweaters have to wait.  Usually until I need stuff for a white wash as I roll the washed,wet, sweaters in fluffy white towels and stand on the roll to remove as much water as possible. Still takes a day or two to dry completely.  So I am wearing a grey sweatshirt that I hate.

Yesterday I dug out the charity quilt my chapter was supposed to be hand quilting---years ago.  I hand quilted a block yesterday afternoon and plan to do another today.  I think there are 20 blocks and there may be four or five done (sort of).  So the rest of the month.  One a day.  I know I could finish faster on the sewing machine but "someone" (not me) put a fluffy, poly batt in this thing and basted it pretty loosely. In the intervening years the batting has poofed.  Making it very hard to even get the quilting hoop over and down around a single block.  I wouldn't have much joy pushing this under the sewing machine needle.  After one block, I felt like I had been Sumo Wrestling.  And losing.

G and Riley are back from their walk.  Riley is having lunch.  I checked my onion and leek seeds and gave them some water (sprayed it on).  I think it will be another 7 to 14 days before I see anything pop up.  Lots of moisture on the reused salad containers.  Waiting is the hard part of seed starting.

I think I will be going back to work next week.  This winter furlough has seemed very long.  I didn't get anything on my list done-----oh, I never made a list, did I!  Well, then, it's all good.  G wants to go to the Portland Garden Show.  We might.  It's in an awful venue and is very dark. Like being underground with lightbulbs shining in your eyes, blinding you every 20 feet or so. Hard to see anything and the floor is covered in water so, wet feet.  I tried to see if my employer needed any volunteer help (free ticket) but haven't heard from them yet.  I'm sure they are very busy with the installation of our booth/ floral display. Perhaps later today.  If I am lucky.

1 comment:

Life Scraps and Patches said...

That new camera is awesome! Wonderful picture. Did you change the saturation of the original photo?