Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Easter Egg Art


These eggs are similar to the ones I made for the AWCT in the late 1980's with Sharpie markers.  I think the ones I made for the raffle were more of a traditional design but these are still lovely.  I noticed one is cracked.


Last night at Art Club we made eggs in many different ways.  The egg I made has dots from tissue paper glued on the white egg's surface.  This is a blown egg.  To the right is a Pyzanky egg that I made in a class in the late 1970's.  With wax and non-edible dyes. Bottom left is a hand painted Hungarian egg I bought in the Budapest duty free shop before boarding a plane to Frankfurt.  I may make a few more of the dotted tissue paper eggs--just need to buy white eggs and blow them out.   I did one egg with Sharpie markers-- like the ones up top--but all the eggs we had were white.  And the Sharpie designs look best on brown eggs.  The white in the centers was acrylic paint applied with a cut edged toothpick (to give a flat dot).  Some of the others last night tried gluing origami "mashi" paper to eggs and dipping eggs to get a marbled effect.  I did do a Sharpie design but then covered it in beige dotted tissue paper.  I brought home an extra HB egg to eat for lunch.

I have another class to write--Pruning this time and I was finally--finally!-- called back to work.  Monday at 8:30 working until 5 pm.  Now I have to get all my little ducks in a row. Work clothing. Lunches.  Plans for making food when I return home after work so we have something to eat.  Hot showers.  I bought a big tub of Greek yogurt last shopping day--just in case I needed a packed lunch for work.  I have grapefruit to eat with the yogurt.

I didn't take my usual Benedryl last night and was awake nearly all night.  I must have slept off and on without realizing it.  So, I'm tired.  It rained all night and most of the snow that covered everything is pretty packed down.  The garden isn't bare yet.  It's been a good winter for hydration.  I don't think any trees or shrubs died for lack of water.  Our Witch Hazel shrubs are both blooming.  The Forsythia is next.  I have to wait until late May and early June to see if all the many, many tulips I planted come up. If they do--it will be a delightful sight.  And I will have to cover them with chicken wire to keep the deer from eating them all just as the open.

My workplace will be celebrating Spring with the Open House on the 23-24th of this month.  Always a very exciting weekend.  And we'll have a "Garden Show" display in the greenhouse.  They are building the landscape walls as I write.  Most of the plants that were in the Portland display will be in our greenhouse next weekend.  And raffled off in a silent auction.  I try and purchase one or two things each year.  Bidding can be tricky.  It will be so nice to see things in blossom in the greenhouse.  It will be good to be back to work.  Even if it's still cold, wet and cloudy.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

I love the eggs done with a black Sharpie. I think I will try making them myself. Thanks for the neat idea.

kathy said...

just beautiful!