Thursday, September 20, 2012

So Many Colors, So Little Time

We have new chalk at work.  Crayola.  Pencil shaped chunky pieces.  Easy to write with.  And a newly painted chalk board.  So, I quickly scribbled the list of "specials" on sale right now on the board and balanced it against the doors in the entrance of the building (at work).  We now have four (going on five) chalk boards.  It is amazing haw a constantly update-able chalk board can make the place look so "lively".  These boards are wide and tall.  The letters have to be "big".

I always wish I could write, in chalk, like the French do on their boards.  I know someone who practiced copying the French style of writing and can now do it in English.  G gave me some "chalk" pens.  I think I will be painting a few pages in my journal with my black gesso and practicing my penmanship with my new chalk pens.

I also have chalk crayons--pastel -- that I love to work with on cold press watercolor paper.  I think it might be fun to try that on a smoother surface.  Whenever we visit the artist supply, I try to find a new pastel crayon to buy.  I also have a collection of water resist and water soluble crayons and pencils.  In every color.

Wouldn't it be deliciously ridiculous to have a drawer like the one above--so many crayons?

My first two days of being 66 have been rough.  My hip hurts and my feet feel stiff.  Difficult to walk after sitting for any length of time.  This just came on me in the past two days.  I haven't been drinking enough water. That's the only change I've made.

Oh, and for those interested, I made version four of the sugarless, flour less "cake" and added too many extra liquids.  I had to keep returning the liquid cake to the micro until it was mostly solid.  Still more of a flat souffle and less of a cake.  But it was a delight with a big scoop of Cool Whip (low carb).  Next time I will skip the coffee liquor and the heavy cream.  Or else I will add almond meal to the mix to hold all the extra liquids.  It's just an egg, 2 T cocoa powder, 1 T butter, 2 T Davinci SF vanilla syrup and Splenda to taste whisked together.  Microwave and then let cool completely.  Version three had 1T Davinci and 1T heavy cream.   Version One had 2T almond flour, cocoa, egg, 3T cream, butter.  They all have Splenda or whatever sweetener you like.  Splenda tends to be bitter when mixed with chocolate. I don't like using the chemical "sugar alcohols".

Wasn't that boring?  Baking for the sugar/flourless people in this world is like taking a chemistry final.  I mix all these odd ingredients and place the little bowl in the microwave (everything is single serving size) and then am usually surprised by what comes out.  The things that do not include cocoa come out rather wonderful.  The cocoa stuff has been a challenge.  I haven't tried the pumpkin stuff yet.

No comments: