Sunday, October 02, 2011

Sunday Spooky Update

The light here in the house is pretty grim.  So you can see more details but things don't look as mellow and cute.  The window bone situation was resolved, I have added more of the glitter beads all around the roof and up the center of the house.  I am now working on the glitter foam shakes.  Hard to see on the black house (right side front).   I'm going to have to add some texture.  Which I think will involve a drive (in the pouring rain) to Joann's for glitter and perhaps some sparkly beads for that little area at the top of the roofline.   I also need orange translucent paper to glue over the back of the house so the inside glows but you can see the stuff beyond the house.  And I need little hooks to hang the dozen or so skeletons from. I don't think that last line was an actual sentence.   That little spider looks good on the right side shakes.

I'm noticing the upper story left side window with the busy interior (bookshelf) looks more interesting than the right side plain window(curtain).  I just have to "get it done" right now and can fuss with it after Halloween is over.  Repaint or add MORE.

And I have to keep saying "it's a Halloween Gingerbread House" to myself.  I'm not seeing much "gingerbread" right now.

It feels cold in the house this morning (65) and it is pouring down rain.  G is working on replacing the bathroom exhaust fan/light/heater with an exhaust fan/light.  Different size and shape.  Different wiring. Lots of potential for disaster. But before he can do that, Riley wanted to go for his walk in the woods.

I served the pulled pork last night with gravy, fried sauerkraut & onions, and packaged potato gnocchi.  A simple quick version of Bohemian pork with potato dumplings.   Like 20 minutes quick rather than all day and a big mess.  I won't be making the traditional version while on this diet.  I would want to eat it.  Potatoes and flour.  Carb overload.  G was swooning while he ate his dinner.  I had just the pork and sauerkraut and I was swooning.  So tasty.

My class was delightful (bulb planting) and ran over to 90 minutes.  The women in the class had lots of "off topic" questions to ask and I think it's okay to digress and answer the questions.  It was lunchtime before I knew it and then I watered the greenhouse and cleaned the shelving along the Christmas Room side of the greenhouse prepping the shelving for the boxes of bows, trim and pinecones to come.  Lots of spider webs and old plant material.  No class next week.

2 comments:

Annie said...

The spooky house is looking great!

Will it ever stop raining? so dreary here, I had to put on the furnace and warm the place up this morning.

Do you have a Joann's up there or do you have to go way out of town? Wish I had one closer to me, hate driving into Portland.

Annie
: )

dee said...

The house is looking so great. How about black sparkles on the roof shingles? Or gray and black so it looks a bit dusty and spookier.

I'm climbing way out on a limb here because my German is now so fractured and forgotten. I think you hit on the reason why I am so in love with gnocchi. They are similar in texture to my Oma's greis close(???) dumplings that she made with pot roast and gravy. I believe they were made with farina and I recently saw Lydia make something very similar on PBS. Her recipe was from the Valdosta where many of the recipes are German or Italian versions of German recipes. After all, northern Italy was once German. If I could find someone who could make those dumplings I would sit waiting, somewhat patiently, with a plate and spoon...what a delicious memory. Thanks Joanne.