Sunday, October 30, 2011

Halloween Eve

I found some plastic eye balls in my bag of "cool things to sew on quilts" along with my big rubber tarantula.  These pumpkins were in the Martha Stewart October magazine a friend (coworker) put in my locker last week.  She thought I would enjoy the spooky stuff.   When I carve my little pumpkin (which grew in my garden by accident) tonight or tomorrow, I will add the plastic eye balls.  So cute. I wish I had a set of plastic vampire teeth to set into the pumpkin's mouth!

We have snow covering the ground.  It's wet and heavy and our electric power was off from midnight to early this morning.  G has had to go into work on his day off.  (at least he got to sleep later than 4:30) Seems the town where his McD's is located has no power and everyone is coming in to get warm and eat breakfast.  They needed help when the menu shifts to lunch.  We both hope he doesn't have to stay all day.

I had four layers on yesterday at work.  None of the glass doors actually close on the greenhouse (unless locked) so there is always a cold draft.  I spent all day adding and subtracting layers.  My class went very well and lasted forever.  They had so many questions.  I enjoyed my hot shower SO much when I got home.  And my warm jammies.

Today; I have some laundry to do, a few shirts to iron, the bed to make, slipcovers to change.  I also have three beautiful eggplant to peel, slice and salt.  I'll fry them later.  I still need to lug all the outdoor agapanthus and orchids up into the attic bathroom.  Get them settled for the winter. They are safe in the garage right now.  Give them a systemic so they don't get spider mites. And I need to figure out where the citrus trees will be spending the winter.  It would be a good day to return to the practice of Pilates.  And bring the yoga mat and yoga book of exercises down to the bedroom.  Lots of varied projects.  I have a book to read (new Swedish thriller) and I REALLY do want to start working on a 12 inch Beet quilt.  So many things.  Perhaps I should write each on a slip of paper and draw one at a time out of a jar?

I completely forgot: WALK THE DOG!

I purchased something for myself yesterday.  I was ambivalent about it actually being a Buddha.  But, after doing research on the internet this morning, I see the figure is a Buddhist Monk in the veneration pose.  Offering/honoring feelings of good will of one to another.  Two hands pressed together at the heart.  A lovely "welcome" to anyone who comes into my home.  Just what I really wanted.  My Buddhist Monk is about 2 feet tall, seated, chubby, cherubic smile on his face.  Black rusted metal.  Large enough but not too large.  Just right.  I am now happy with my purchase.  I may even purchase Prayer Flags one of these days. I am not a Buddhist but I think some of the teachings are very appropriate for my life.

Yesterday was a difficult day.  Not enough food at lunchtime so I was hungry and open to temptation.  I resisted.  But it was class day and there was CAKE.  I have to bring more or the right food next sunday. And then, here at home, I had nothing to eat.  I ended up having a leftover half of MIM and peanut butter followed by sugar free jello much later (after 10).  Not the best choices.  Stupid choices.  This morning I had sausage, egg and cheese.  A large portion to carry me until supper.  I'll be having fried eggplant for dinner with marinara.  In fact, I will be having fried eggplant all week.  Eggplant Parm, Eggplant lasagna, Eggplant Marinara.  OR I can freeze some for another week.  If I buy some broccoli and cheese tomorrow I can make a cream of broccoli  soup.  That will be nice to have at work.

Hope you are warm and your furnace is working.  It'll be 50 degrees here tomorrow.  Really queer weather.

1 comment:

Diane N said...

Glad to hear your power is back on and you are suffering no ill effects from this freakish weather.

I hope you will post a photo of your pumpkin and his eyeballs!

Happy Halloween (a day early!)