Friday, October 14, 2011

Second Post Friday

I have a question.  How many sizes of clothing do you have in your closet right now?  Or stored in the guest bedroom closet?

I am SERIOUSLY considering packing up everything that is TOO BIG right now and taking the bags to Goodwill.  Or cutting the linen stuff into "yardage"  i.e. cutting the sleeves and neck parts off the shirts, cutting the skirts off the dresses, and opening the side seams of the pants and removing the elastic waistbands.  Then I would have cloth but not clothing.  Because I love good quality linen and am sad to send it off to Goodwill.

If I had absolutely NOTHING to wear if I started gaining weight--would that ACTUALLY be an incentive to stop eating so much???????

Let me know what you think.

The 1984 pure wool, custom made tea length wool circle skirts are still very snug at the waist (size 31 1/2 inches in 1984 which was considered to be a LARGE waist measurement at the time) but the grey one swirled nicely when I tried it on this morning with ballet flats.  I want to wear these two skirts this winter.  I may even buy fashion forward leather boots.  And a few cardigans.  Going back 27 years.  Magical.  Mysterious.  I had planned to wear the skirts to work in the winter of 2007 but lost my job before wool weather arrived.  I now have a second chance.  Incentive.

3 comments:

Jan said...

See, now there's the conundrum. I was with you until you referenced the wonderful wool skirts from 1984. I have piles of clothes all over my bedroom this week and I am asking myself the very same questions...circularly, over and over.
It will be interesting to get someone else's perspective on this. I fear our thought processes are too similar. lol

Gale said...

I have two sizes - 8 and 10. It does keep me in check. As soon as I was able to wear 10 again, I gave away all the 12's and vowed to never be that size again. My goal is to be comfortable in an 8 at which time i will relinquish all size 10's. And that would make me sooo happy!

Joanne S said...

The circle skirts are the only pieces of clothing from that time period. I think I kept them because of the yardage of good wool. I'm usually more interested in "saving" good fabric than in the clothing itself. LOL

If we "save" pants and shirts that are too big--are we saying to our own true selves--I will be that heavy again? And do we then gain weight because we "know" we have clothing that will fit?

My neighbor gains or loses only 5 pounds on either side of her best weight. And cuts back as soon as something feels tight. This sounds sensible. If she had looser clothing in the closet--wouldn't she put that on when everything else felt too snug?