Monday, September 05, 2011

Whole Lot Of Burning Squirrel

No Picture.  This morning Riley tried to wake me up at 6:30 just before it started to rain.  I got up to let him outside and then we both went back to bed.  I woke up a short while later to a loud "chirp" from the phone. Then nothing.  I later discovered the chirp meant we had lost power.  I waited two hours and then was so in need of hot coffee, that I hooked up the rotary phone and called the power company.

Our STREET was without power.  Not a town or area.  Just a STREET. Eleven houses.  So they sent out a truck and, no kidding, 10 minutes after I called, the power was back.  And the phone calls started.  The Power Company is obviously trying to be customer service oriented today.  Ahem!

The power outage was caused by a "dead squirrel".  I don't think it was dead when it made contact with the transformer.  But I certainly think it was "dead" after.  Smoking hot and very dead.  The majority of the outages on my street are Burning Squirrel related.  Sometimes we can even see the smoking little corpse next to the pole.

In secondary news, I seem to be experiencing "hot flashes" for the first time, evah, in my life.  Can you really begin menopause at 65?  If so, then I "began" a few days ago.  Very strange.  I don't like it.  It's summer, how much clothing can you take off, when you don't have that much on to begin with?????  I am, by nature, a cold blooded person.  I have been know to wear a sweater in the summer.  So, getting all warm, suddenly, makes me dizzy and nauseated.  I have to lie flat, to get my blood pressure back into the normal/low range.  The wave of heat hits me and the blood pressure drops like a rock.

During the power outage (house) and power surges (body), I am collecting things for the weekend yard sale with my daughter.  So many lovely items.  Perhaps too nice???  So, far I have looked for things in the dish cupboard, on top of the cabinets (baskets), in drawers etc.  Most everything, so far, is stuff I bought while living in Germany.  I will be going up into the attic after posting, to see what I can find up there.  I had also filled a box a few months ago, and want to see if those items are still here.  G tends to throw my things away and hoard his things.

It's comforting to hear the refrigerator humming away.  And see the little digital numbers on the microwave.  The hot coffee is nice also.

Could the waves of heat and nausea be caused by a drop or spike in sugar levels?  I had a bowl of cereal for breakfast and even though I buy sugar free cereal, the grains have sugars in them that I am not used to ingesting.  I usually feel better after eating a one ounce cheese stick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A sudden drop or spike in blood sugar could very well be the cause of the nausea... as I have experienced it myself. Can't vouch for the temperature spike tho. Good Luck figuring it all out as well as surviving the allergens!