Friday, September 09, 2011

Bountiful Garden

This is the harvest G & I pulled from the garden in a few moments last evening.  Look at those carrots!!! I need to make another pot of marinara sauce this morning to eliminate as many over ripe tomatoes as possible.  These are Early Girl and they are really nice tomatoes.  I also like the Arkansas Traveler.  Same size as EG but a beautiful rose color and excellent taste.   At the bottom of this basket, I have some ugly but delicious Mortgage Lifters and Brandywine.  Big.  Very delicious.  Very nasty looking so they will all go into the sauce pot.  As you can see (peeking out from under the carrots)  the new crop of beans has just started producing.  Yellow beans.  I planted a mixed selection of beans for my second planting.  So far, just the yellow are ready for picking.  I also have a good crop of beets ready to be pulled.

I think I made the right choices this year.  Plant only the things we really enjoy eating.  Cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, beans, carrots and beets.  And squash.   My accidental pumpkin is turning orange and is getting bigger every time it rains.  So my Halloween pumpkin is taken care of.  I have to work on the cucumber production.  I am NOT getting more than one or two a day which is very meager.  The squash have slowed down also.   I need more zukes for zucchini pizza crust!!

I am also working on the yard sale inventory.  Great deal of baskets.  Lots of mugs (Wachtersbach and Mary Englebreit).  A box of decorative items.  Next up: the craft part of the attic.  I know I have rug hooking supplies up there.  Yarn.  And a huge bag of fabric remnants that people can dig around in (excellent for Halloween costumes).   I am not sure on the pricing so I am going to add stickers and tags and then write on them tomorrow morning after consulting with my daughter.  I have a tendency to price too low.  I also have a huge pile of framed "art".  Some I will keep (for the frame) but some of the frames aren't my taste anymore.  It's all very time consuming.  And I have the dog walk.

My Work List so far.  Marinara Sauce.  Attic.  Tags & Stickers.  Dog Walk.

The Toy Collection for the Really Cute Toy Wreath Project is coming along.  I found some more plastic toys yesterday and a co worker is donating a 50's Barbie garland.  Little Barbies about 5 inches tall.  Just what I needed as I didn't have any Barbies.  Now I need some Star Wars stuff.  Matchbox Cars.  If I had great piles of this stuff, I would use it at work to make Toy Wreaths to sell.  I do have some toddler sized Duplo blocks to use as filler.  A nice set of colored, toddler Legos would be an excellent find.  These are things I will look for tomorrow at the Yard Sale.  And later at Big Lots.

I may even "shop" for Halloween junk and make a very exuberant Halloween Wreath.  Spiders, Skeletons, Pumpkins, Ghosts etc.  I think Joann's and the Dollar Stores.  Plastic Vampire Teeth.

I LOVE a good, fun project!!!  And I LOVE the glue gun.  Except for burning my fingers which always happens.  Time to get the marinara started.  Then the house can smell delicious.

There is a link in the comments of the last post for a Toy Wreath that Kate from Barn of Opportunity made.  You have to scroll down until you find it on her site.  Pretty darned cute.  Have a Happy Day!

1 comment:

Paula, the quilter said...

Boxes. Put your yard sale stuff in boxes. The minute I took the fabrics and Christmas things out of the sacks and either laid them on a table or put them in a box -- bam! people started looking at them. O and bling it up. People also go for the shiny stuff!