Monday, September 26, 2011

Breakfast Dilemma

The on going disturbance in this diet of mine.  Eating from the same food groups for extended periods of time and becoming sated on one food and needing a replacement.  I have been having a bacon, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich for about 10 days now.  I use a 4 net carb flax pita for the "bread" which is basically just the tool that makes it possible to eat this food out of hand.

I purchase two bags of HB eggs at Trader Joes, thinking that an HB egg or two would be a good breakfast or snack.  I ate two eggs, used four to make egg salad and now have the second bag of 6 eggs.  I don't actually want to eat them.  The salt content of the bacon and cheese in the bacon, egg and cheese is making my rings tight.  Today's breakfast of a ham and cheese roll up in a quarter piece of the flax lavash is still too salty, but I have to eat the ham and cheese before it goes bad.  I could have had a quarter portion of the cold leftover zucchini crust pizza.

Which gives me four choices for breakfast and none of them desirable.  I need to now locate a fourth or fifth "new" high fat and protein breakfast to add to the rotation.  Frittata?  Quiche without the crust?  Breakfast Casserole without the soaked bread? Extremely low carb cereal with soy milk.  Flax muffin with cream cheese or peanut butter.

I wonder that I could eat the same breakfast of shredded wheat or oatmeal for years and years, never tiring of either.  I would eat them again, joyfully, if it was possible.  Breakfast isn't a time when I look forward to eating cold meats or eggs.  But I do.  Just to fill my stomach and get on with my day.  That's how I look at this first meal of the day.  Just get it over with.  Wash it down with coffee.  Move on.

Why don't I just eat cereal you ask? Perfectly reasonable question.  Because, one hour after eating the cereal I am looking for "something" to eat.  I am hungry.  If, in the end, I am going to have to satisfy my food craving with the bacon, egg and cheese combo--why not just skip the cereal???  I can eat the BEC and not be looking for any (additional) food for 4 to 6 hours.

Lunch is easier.  Green salad with olive oil and vinegar.  Tuna plus mayo.  Chicken plus mayo.  HB egg plus mayo.  Ham and cheese rollup.  Leftover meatballs.  Cold chicken wings.  Leftover pulled pork. Peanut butter straight from the jar (2 Tablespoons) eaten off the spoon.  I have only one container of Bacon enhanced Garden Vegetable Soup left to eat.  It was best with added pot roast.  I also have two more servings of Induction Chili in the freezer.  I wonder how that would be mixed into the soup? I can see making another batch of soup as the garden winds down.  Which reminds me to go out and pick raspberries.  I have been meaning to try eating the raspberries with ricotta instead of yogurt, adding a scoop of protein powder to the ricotta.  Breakfast?  Dessert?

I searched the house for suitable fabric to repair two pair of G's favorite work pants.  I need a hand sewing project for the afternoon now that I have finished the 20th and final Cadfael book.  The mending stitch should be mindless enough.  I have no idea what I will read next.  Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried Greek style yogurt? It has twice the protien of regular yogurt (~ 14 grams per cup) and mixed with fresh fruit and nuts makes a lovely breakfast.
Kat

Joanne S said...

Atkins doesn't approve of yogurt, and suggests subbing sour cream for yogurt. ICK.

I happen to LOVE Greek yogurt especially the whole milk stuff with only 10 nc for 8 ounces. Not able to add it to my diet yet.

dee said...

The berries with ricotta sound like a nice start to the day for a change.
Have you tried the tuna with a light vinegrette and finely chopped celery. I've forgotten if you can have nuts. I used to chop some almonds in there too. Gave the crunch needed to feel like it was more than it was. I ate this for lunch nearly every day for months back when I lost a lot of weight. Of course back then I had some will power.
Can you eat rice noodles with a peanut sauce and pepper flakes? that was another fav and very filling with some shredded chicken or thinly sliced steak thrown in.

Unknown said...

I just got an email from this website: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/ (I think you have to sign up for the newsletter because I don't see it listed), but it was basically a saute of bacon with apple, pear and peach. Sounds wonderful! I know you are limiting fruit due to Atkins, but this might be a nice change.

When I was shopping today at lunch, this deli had a great salad: kale, beets, lime juice, olive oil and raspberry puree - a nice use of some of your raspberries!

Terry Grant said...

Don't know if you like memoirs, but the best book I have read this year was "Just Kids" by Patty Smith. Something about it really touched me. I am currently reading "Blood, Bones and Butter" another memoir by chef Gabrielle Hamilton. Fascinating. What an interesting, odd, disturbing life she has led.

Susan Mcd said...

Every time you mention the Cadfael books I mean to suggest the C J Sansom mysteries about a hunchback lawyer during the time of Henry VIII. You might love them! (Sorry, the librarian in me comes out even though I'm retired.) Susan in Philadelphia