Monday, August 29, 2011

New Windows

We are changing from casement windows (the ones with the cranks that open out ) to a double hung window.  I asked for the quarter divide up on top.  It's just sitting there right now (to keep bugs and birds from flying into the house).  The carpenter has gone to get wood to build up the inside and outside of the window framing.  As he says, the first one is the hardest one to do.  Lots of "thinking" to do to get it in right.  I decided, since all the trim needs to be changed, to go with a newer more modern trim.  More 'Cottage".  I don't even want to think about what this will all cost. But I am already loving the new look of the windows.  Best of all, now we can have a slim window AC unit next summer.  Yah!!!!

The old window frame DID have black mold.  We had to spray more spots with bleach.  Good thing I taped up the openings or I would still be coughing and sick.  The Tyvek wrap fell short on the windows, thereby letting in water.  So, the windows were solid.  The underlayment under the cedar clapboard wasn't.

Now this has never happened before.   I got up to do something after that last paragraph and forgot to come back and finish the post.  I've been sewing, ironing, cleaning up, looking at my window etc. and just now remembered I hadn't hit publish.  I stitched up a 12 by 12 square (not a quilt) using orange fabrics.  It looks nice.  I tried out a few buttons on it.  Orange ones.  But I don't think I'm a "button" person.

Yesterday I reheated the last of the frozen meatballs and sauce.  G had spaghetti and I was feeling sad.  So I tried something new.  I used my julienne slicer and sliced the peel and non seeded parts of a zucchini and made long, thin "spaghetti".   I tossed the strips into the spaghetti water (after getting all the spaghetti out) and then added meatballs, sauce and cheese.   It was good and felt like spaghetti in my mouth. I could even twirl it on my fork. Next time, I will make MORE.

I think I can keep going with the diet now that I have a good sub for Pizza and Pasta.  This morning I had a quarter of a flat lavash (2nc) with scrambled eggs.  Sort of a sandwich.  I had purchased the package of four wraps a long time ago but was afraid to eat them.  Half a lavash (6 inches by 10) is only 4 net carbs.  I was thinking of eating them as grilled cheese sandwiches or peanut butter roll ups.

My birthday is coming soon and I want to eat chocolate cake.  A coworker has an excellent recipe for a flour less chocolate cake and I think I will experiment and see if I can make something worthy of a "birthday".  I intend to have a HEAP of buttercream frosting if I can find a sugar free recipe.

This same coworker thinks that four months on a diet "isn't such a long time" and I should be happy with any small results I have had so far.  Okay.  I will be happy.  The size 14 JJill pants now fit.  And I know they are cut slim because the last time they fit I weighed 20 pounds less than I do now.  Someday, I will write and let you know that a size 12 pair of pants fit.  It may be a LONG time, but it will happen.

On that happy note, the carpenter is back with more supplies and is setting up his work station on the front porch.  Riley is out there helping him.  We may have the first window in place by the time G gets home from work.  New computers are being installed this week.  Never a happy experience.

2 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

Have you ever tried spaghetti squash? I love this squash and use it when I can find it in the market. Another favorite is Delicata squash. O yum. Now I need to stop at the market.

Jan said...

Did you leave a question on my post today? Please email me...it didn't arrive in my inbox and I don't have access to my address book on my iPad, so I can't reply. If it wasn't you, *nevermind*!