Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Boxing Joanne, Colorfully

I had to quickly snap tops on the boxes I have been filling in my workspace.  The new windows will be needing completely NEW trim work and the carpenter needs space to work.  So the boxes had to be moved from the workspace to the attic.  And stacked up there.  I didn't have a chance to add library pockets to each container with a list of the contents on a series of library cards.  I can look, on the cards, to see if what I am looking for is in the box.

I sorted things into boxes as I packed.  One box is all silk and velvet, another 30's, another project bags, another solids.  Good thing.  As I needed a certain shade of green for my 12 by 12 and thought I had carried that color floss with me to Atlanta on a few trips.  I had a good idea what box that project was in.  I hope it will always be that easy.  Sigh!   I found the floss AND a pair of nice handy, short nosed scissors.  The kind they don't make anymore.

EOM for G today.  He is trying to find a quiet spot to take a nap before going into work.  With the hammering and the power tools, not having much luck.

G did find time to spray the yard with mosquito preventer and pick up all the branches that came down during the 30 to 50 MPH winds on Sunday evening.  The ends of some branches were embedded into the lawn.  I am SO glad we had those wiggly old pines cut down.

My new windows are smaller and narrower than the originals.  But they have more of the cottage feel that I like.  The e-window-ness also cuts down on the light rays that can get into the house.  We have to get used to less brightness.  The trim we have is very dated and old fashioned.  Also very hard to clean unless you enjoy working with Q-tips.  The new trim will be wider and deeper.  I could actually place potted plants on the sills.  If there was enough light.  G suggested we get the wide wooden blinds for the bedroom windows.  In white?  Or should we get black?

The carpenter just showed me what he had done on the first window, trim (design) wise.  I get a nice, wide, deep sill.  And wide side trim.  It looks gorgeous. And the window in the bathroom has never looked better!!!!!   I love excellent workmanship.

I found some nice rhubarb at the grocery yesterday evening.  I had made an Atkins chocolate one serving cake the night before and it was SO good that I thought it best to have more stewed rhubarb in the house so I didn't try to eat a chocolate dessert every night. The rhubarb is great served cold (1/4 cup) with whipped cream. Not as sweet as dessert might usually be, but the tart taste is a change of pace.  I discovered, on the news, that eating chocolate was "very good for my heart health".  I used Splenda and no flour. It's amazing what you can make with an egg and a few tablespoons of cocoa powder.

G is back home from the Walk In The Woods (WITW) and Riley is getting hosed off.  He must have gone in the mud or the dirty water, yet, again.  They'll both have some lunch and, while the carpenter is at lunch, G can take a nap.   I'll spend the time reading.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I read your earlier post (perhaps you deleted it?) - I enjoy reading about all the things you write about. It's what makes you, YOU. I now have 3 blogs, but they all kind of intersect. The only reason I separated them was because the people who read my quilting blog aren't necessarily interested in triathlon and vice versa. ;) Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your world. Aloha, Dianna