Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Japanese Style Rock Pile- Homemade

We have a large number of rocks.  Some we dug out of the ground, others we received as "gifts" from a former employee who was cultivating a few acres on her farm.  Some, I even took from the rock pile holding up the mulch pile at work. ( I brought one from home to trade)  This is about 24 to 30 inches tall.  And about 24 wide.  And I don't know how heavy, but my arms had quite a struggle when asked to pick up and put down the big rock in the third layer (from bottom) more than a few times to get the right size rocks balancing under it.  I know it weighs more than 40 pounds.  It's just at the weight that I can "almost" lift.  I kept trying narrower rocks in the second balanced layer.  I wanted a larger "window" between the rocks.  Oh, well.

I gave in on the window and the Universe let me find the sharp edged "hat".  That works for me.  G added the little topknot rock after I had left for the grocery store.  Perfect.

Let's see how long it takes for Riley to run through and knock it all over.

I like building these rock piles.  I built one for my neighbor across the street.  Then she built one for herself. Riley's tendency to knock over my piles, gives me the opportunity to add or subtract rocks and make the piles "new" and "improved".   I am always looking for wider, flatter rocks.  We have too many round ones. My daughter started me on rock piles.  She has an incredible tower on her front steps.  No one understands how it stays up.  Sam inserts tiny flat stones to balance the roundish rocks.  It's all very stable and very painstakingly done.  8 to 10 handball sized rocks.  One on top of the other.  The ones at the very top are slightly smaller.

Today was too hot, too slow, too everything, at work.  I started a really good project after lunch and we didn't get finished.  I stayed 30 minutes more to complete the section we had started.  I'll have to wait until Thursday to work my way around to the last tables in the perennial yard.  We managed to empty three. I watered everything and collected all the old, trashy things to send back.  I selected 8 nice Happy Returns day lilies for G to plant at his work.  40% off and another 10% with a coupon.

Well, I think I will take a shower now.  I feel all buggy.  Riley is outside, in the shade, I hope, after a hard day at doggie daycare.  I don't know what he does there, but he sure is tired when I pick him up.

1 comment:

dee said...

a true definition of a real New Englander..rock walls and piles. My late father-in-law Jim made a pathway up through our woods that was so beautiful. For years(many years) he sorted and collected only white stones from our land and the various building projects up here. One summer the stones were poured out onto the pathway he had cleared. It's luminous especially in the evening.