Monday, January 05, 2009

Work In Progress

Today is the second day back on the "diet" or healthy eating plan I devised in January of 2007. I have gained 20 pounds and my clothes are tight, "short" pant legs again and I need to stop right now. I thought I should be able to have a midmorning bagel at work with my coffee. If I wanted nachos twice a week, why not. Pie with whipped cream after dinner. Yes, please.

Yesterday I kept busy and ignored the rumbling of my stomach. I didn't watch television. I stayed away from the part of the house where the food is kept. I walked the dog with G. In other words--- I made it through day one and that's all I can expect from myself. One day. At a time. Today is another day.

As soon as I get dressed, the three of us will go for a nice freezing cold walk. The up side is that the streets are dry and clear of snow and ICE. So no danger of slipping and falling. Today. (I should take my camera) And after the walk, a nice hot shower. Then filling out paperwork for unemployment, getting something notarized and mailed out, paying bills and making a small dent in the clutter of my work space. If that fails to hold my attention, I'll bundle up and go into the unheated attic to sort things for Goodwill.

My plan for 2009 includes a small art work each month but now that I am looking for things to occupy myself with (other than eating), I may try for a piece a week until I return to work in mid March. I realized, when I had my gallery show, that I needed some small, affordable pieces and now that everyone is attaching small work to stretched canvas, why not go along with it? Certainly easier than framing. They even attach things to small 3 by 3 inch canvases.

So, in 2009, some small work. And I have such fantastic ideas for the Winter piece for my Garden series (I saw more stuff for my art while shopping than I saw for buying), the Twelve by Twelve Chair piece due next month and I want to work with my daughter, the photographer, on a postcard in case I ever have another show. and I have to make some hats and scarves out of the $12 worth of polar fleece I bought. Any patterns out there for a cute winter hat?

Now, the best part. In 2007, my weekly treat was Chinese Lunch on Sunday. We are trying to NOT eat out so my weekly treat, for making it through 6 days of dieting, will be Macaroni and Cheese in the blue box. I bought a bundled package of five boxes when I was out of control and now they will be used for a far better purpose. Or maybe I, unconsciously, planned ahead?

Life is a mystery.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Good, we can do this together coz I've found myself the last couple weeks slipping back into some old bad habits of snacking at work on things people bring in and PMS is NOT an excuse! I support you and you support me. After all, you were/are my inspiration to lose my weight. Let's seriously work hard together to keep it off.