Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sold

PFD cotton, dye painted, free motion thread painting, beads. Iris. This work was started in a Hollis Chatelain weekend workshop in July of 2002 or 2003. It's an original design and not one of those workshop projects where everyone does the same designed pattern. I used Maderia polyneon thread to do the thread work. I like the way the thread "stands up" and out from the fabric giving some dimension to the stitches. I also like the neon of the colors which actually just means they are saturated with color and have some shine. This thread line is now being manufactured by someone else.

I added strips cut in the trimming of this to 22.5 inches square to the right side of the work and like the way it worked to bring some of the colors from the left over into that area. Not too much, just enough to carry the eye.

I love the painterly look of this fabric piece and wonder why I haven't followed this with more painted flowers. I have recently discussed this with a friend and think it's a puritanical thing about restricting the amount of pure pleasure in my life.

Do you find yourself doing all the necessary things and none of the purely pleasurable things? I think I might need therapy to find out why. I am a painter who doesn't allow myself to paint. There, I have admitted it to all of you.

We are in the midst of a snow fall event. My driveway is covered with 4 to 6 inches of new powder and I am busy preparing a number of documents for my visit to the local Social Security office. The staff of this office is being secretive as to what documents I may need, so this is a guessing game on my part. All I want is a 1099 so I can send my Dad's taxes to his accountant. Everyone who has gone on this journey (estates) has said "good luck" and not in a positive tone of voice. Why is bureaucracy so difficult for those of us not on the welfare payroll? And why is it so easy for the people who are? Is this inherent in the system?

I need to plan some sort of menu for dinner tonight. We have eaten all the prepared food and I must make something new. Cherry Tomato Pasta is my fall back position. Riley wants OUT.

3 comments:

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Oh, I love the quilt, and it's a great motivator. I took a Hollis Chatelain workshop too and have been happily using neon thread ever since. I only took the quilting portion of the workshop because I felt I couldn't afford both days and I've been sorry ever since.

Can I join the therapy group where we discuss why we don't do what we love? I get so happy when I have a paintbrush in my hands yet I almost never put one there, most likely because I think I don't know how to paint.

Annie said...

Oooh, Joann, I really like that piece! Very nice. I enjoy it when you show your work,nice talent.

: )

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your sale! It is a beautiful piece.