Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Think Of Work As Exercise

I have been trying to make little five inch squares using materials that may or may not be in the recycling bin/wastebasket. Nothing new purchased. I like this little one. Some of my painted fabric, a scrap of green, some deli paper, some batik trimmings. I wrote about this in my pen/paper journal. One a week? I may have the time (since I do nothing around here, lately) to make one a day. That would certainly get me down into the workroom.

Riley's new bone. I have heard from the "raw" v ""boiled" pet owners. Yes, there are bone fragments coming off this par-boiled bone. But Riley has had most of his bones for the 5 months he's lived here with us and they are in the same stage of chip as this new bone. He can get just so far and no further. This is the side he loves the best as it is generally filled with a dry sponge of bone tissue which he crunches and licks off the carpet until it's open like this. I dig all the marrow OUT!

I had observed the steak and pork rib bones my father gave to his small dogs and even I could see they were ready to splinter with the first crunch of strong dog jaws. I think bones that have been butchered into people portions are NOT good choices. Now that the crumbly bits have been chewed off this bone--Riley will work on the edges for some weeks and months. Thoroughly entertained.

Another example of a "green" 5 by 5. This time deli paper, fabric scraps and the mesh from an Ohio potato bag. I have enough of all these materials to try and make this several more times and see if I can make it work more effectively. Showcase the materials. So for the week I will set that as my goal. To make and remake this particular combo until I am satisfied I can't make it work any better.

I washed and dried a brown grocery bag and some tan wrapping paper and let it hang to dry. I want to cut it into signatures and make a small book. Rustic. I think I may iron the papers flat and then cut it into rectangles and then fold into signatures.

What's Good Today: I spent Friday to Tuesday eating all kinds of things I would have eaten BEFORE the healthy eating plan. Chicken Gyro with Roasted Lemon Potatoes, Chili Cheese Fries with Sour Cream piled on top, Nachos Grande with cheese, sour cream and guacomole. Yesterday I added up the calories, generously, and found that by not having breakfast some times and skipping dinner (I was really full), my calories were well within the limits. I have strayed but not gone off the edge. Even the Eggplant Parm and Pasta was okay as was yesterday's leftover Pizza. But now I'm done with that. Also walked 4 miles with the pup yesterday. He was happy to have me back out on the streets with him. This week long diet and exercise vacation was good for me. I've faced the devil and it was okay.

What's Not: The weather. Rain which translates into ice. The streets were so dry and safe yesterday I was positively giddy with delight and now it's all gone so wrong. So dangerous for walking. Slipping. Falling. Send whatever cold, windy temps you want but please no more ice.

I'm heading to the attic today. To fill two cartons with stuff for Goodwill. My Wednesday "thing to do" each week this month and then tomorrow G and I will drop it all off. I will be wearing my winter coat and gloves as most of the attic has NO insulation. I think that is the next DYI project for this household. Perhaps we will schedule it for August?

1 comment:

Deborah Boschert said...

I love that first piece -- I'm drawn to its subtle symmetry. And the colors!