Monday, January 07, 2008

One Year

This image from a magazine ad says it all for me. The black pants. The catalyst for one year of change/diet/re-invention. Now, after it's gone by--it seems the work of moments.

I vaguely remember some of the early days. I remember that after I had lost 25 pounds I expected people to be amazed. And then I realized I still weighed over 200 pounds and there was not much for the general public to be amazed about. I realized that this would have to be all about ME and not about THEM. And I had to decide to continue. And I must admit it seemed like so much effort for so little reward at that point--5 months in (May).

But I decided to keep going. July was a plateau month and nothing happened after a loss of 50 pounds. I ate fruit, walked more and struggled. And August was better. October to December has been difficult. I am at a weight and clothes size that seems like a miracle to me and so became complacent. Felt I deserved a slice of bread. A cookie. Some buttercream frosting.

Tomorrow, my annual doctor's visit. Weigh in. I will know what I weigh. Yes, that's right I have no idea what I weigh. I know that my clothes fit. I know that I feel well. I am coming to grips with the sagging skin on my arms, legs and stomach. Better to be wrinkled and sagging or filled with fat? I am hoping time and exercise will improve some of the bagging skin but I am 61. And so is my skin. I have decided not to investigate tummy tucks etc. I don't have the pain tolerance or ego to support it.

One year. Three hundred and sixty five days of effort. Gone by. I will spend the next few moments, weeks, months adjusting to this new reality that is me. Now.

And I won't be blogging about diet or weight any more. I will move on to new topics of conversation and interests.

I have noticed a coincidence on the blogs this month. Simplify. I had written about reducing the amount of "things" I owned and now see on other blogs this theme being considered. I think this is one of those ideas out in the ether and people are open to the "simplify" concept. Of cutting back. Reducing possessions. Using what is already owned. I will follow the progress of this "theme" in 2008 to see what happens.

I have started to weed out the fabrics in my closet, on the floor, in containers. I have decided to eliminate half of the garden pots on my shelf in the garage. Most have been there for years. Recycle. Magazines are going into the car trunk to be "exchanged" at the library. My next area of interest is the attic. So much clutter up there. Goodwill. And the baskets. Going.

But right now, it's warmish outside and the dog and I are off to walk for an hour or two. And I am taking my camera. I saw some very nice boot bottom impressions in the snow yesterday afternoon which would make lovely stamps to press into paint and fabric.

No comments: