Thursday, February 01, 2024

Winter Notes- Thursday, February First. I had to check what year it is........


 I know that line up top worries some of you--it worries me as well.  I had to check the newspaper to see what YEAR it is.  My January Desk Calendar needed a few (a lot) of spaces filled before I could drag out the February one.....I decided I would list books I read on the lines on the bottom....where I guess a person would be writing things.....a person who is not me. A person who has things to do.

I could always run for President... I'm over seventy. Forgetful.

Cornbread as been something I have wanted to bake........well, I guess for three years.  

I thought about my husband's dementia and I think three years.....I read something in the newspaper this morning about dementia...that a person could be unable to read but could still drive a car......that it's like missing puzzle pieces and you can still identify the image of the puzzle.  Like the Cornbread image.

I am struggling.......I feel unemployed as I am no longer on 24/7 duty.

My intention for today is to drag out the hose for the central vac system.... floors are dusty.  It's a bit of a HAUL doing this as the hose tends to get twisted up etc...so it will be a real workout and I might have to take rest breaks. (definitely rest breaks)

Today is February first and I was going to have a Reading Project....Jane Austen I think...but I am NOT up for it. A Great Idea for another February I think.  I did no forward planning.

I do hardly ANY planning.. The Weekly Grocery Shopping always takes me by Surprise. And I have to scribble something on the list.  Hot Dogs last week.  And I made soup.

My Son came in from the mailbox by the road to say "I expect to find new to me things in the mailbox- yours-..but today I was surprised to find a bottle of mouth wash"   I smiled.....I said Peggy knew I needed mouthwash in October and then with Hospice didn't want to bring it over....so she wrote me an email a few days ago to ask if I still wanted it....I said yes....  she also tucks all her catalogs into the mail box because she knows I like to look at them.....when she travels, I collect her mail and packages....water her plants.  Neighbor Stuff.  My husband used to walk her dog.  They both cried when the dog died.

I still have my cough....but no, absolutely no...congestion in my chest.  No fever.  No headache.  Nothing but a cough and clear see thru phlegm.  It might just be House Air....the house being closed up with the heat on.... dust because I haven't vacuumed........sigh.  Three years.  I have neglected the house and myself for possibly three years.....no wonder I am feeling so empty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a friend whose wife had Alzheimer's. She forgot how to walk so getting her from room to room was a huge challenge. She would be very upset if he and the nurses that came tried to get her in a wheelchair. She could stand up and sit down. She just wouldn't or couldn't walk. One day he was working in the kitchen and singing as he worked. She was sitting at the table and said, "Dance with me." He was stunned but went over. She stood up and she danced with him. After that, whenever he needed to get her from one room to another he would sing to her and ask her, "Dance with me?" She would rise and they would dance wherever they need to go in the house. As long as he held her and sang she would dance but she wouldn't dance with anyone else.

Joanne S said...

What a Beautiful Story...I have read it a few times now...the human mind is a complex but beautiful thing.