Wednesday, August 09, 2023

Field Notes- Rained overnight. Container plants very wet. I took a long shower and washed my hair.


 Dreaming of Tomato Sandwiches.  The grocery tomatoes were hard.  But I need to buy some next week and let them ripen on the Sun Porch where it gets hot.  Buy soft bread.  Georgia Tomato Sandwich.  Lots of mayo.

Yesterday I finally ate the pulled pork...in a salad with lettuce, yellow cheese, and Ranch Dressing. It was very very good.   Watched some vintage Law and Order.  I guess we finished the newer stuff and now starting over....  I watched some news......gag.  My eyes were tired so no book.  Today, book. And Chicken Salad.  Tons of mayo and honey.  Maybe.  Well see how the day plays out. 

Tomorrow haircut.

It's August and August is dull.  Talked with daughter- she got stung on her hand and fingers day before at work.  A Bee Nest.  In ground. While weeding.  Yesterday was a Rain Day here in Maine.  It rained. A Lot.  So she stayed home and slept.   Back to work today.  More weeding.   Hopefully no bees.

One year, a homeowner asked to have ALL the blue flowering hydrangea dug up and removed.  Daughter did it late in the day and tucked all the plants into her car...... arrived home and dug holes for them and planted and watered them in.  After a long day of landscaping.  They survived and are happy in the back of the yard in some shade.  Blooming. Usually only at the bottom where the winter snow protects them.  Maine.  I planted two when I first moved here.  they bloomed once or twice- only around the bottom and then died.   My grandmother had them in her garden.  They bloomed top to bottom. Ohio.

As a Master Gardener, I told owners to wrap the plants in burlap over the Winter.  But timing was always a problem.  Too soon or too late.

She and her employer are "testing" two new to them roses.  One shrub and one climbing.  So far they are both outstanding.  I might want to add the climber to one of the fences. In my yard. The roses are fragrant.


4 comments:

Kim Carney said...

i don't really like tomatoes but in malta we made these sandwiches, good!

sourdough country loaf, tomato ... rubbed into the bread. I think there might have been a drizzle of olive and a smattering of capers ;)

Kim Carney said...

well this shows dice, my mom use to smear it on, that is how our neighbors did it

https://www.meikepeters.com/blog/a-maltese-beach-ftira-with-tomato-capers-olives-and-mint

Kim Carney said...

another version
https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/open-sandwich-hobz-biz-zejt/ua3xc50na

Joanne S said...

I am reminded of the rubbing a cut tomato over rough country bread. And I recall it being quite wonderful to eat.
You need a big very ripe juicy tomato for it to work- and you should do it in the sink- messy!!!!!