Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Daily Notes- July 17th


I was busy making components for Jude's class Part II yesterday.  My printed cloth is a little too bright to play well, so I used the back side part of the time and the front side a few times.  My favorite so far is the lower right corner.  Mellow.  Interesting lines.  I had made many "pages" from soft white cloth.  35 one inch squares in each.  I am thinking I will take one apart--unsew--and then have 35 small white squares in the box with these squares.  The "pages" never amounted to anything. It's something I am thinking about.

I have a few piles of small squares ready to fold and baste.  Because it's raining here in Maine and very humid.  Riley had a Vet appointment at 8:30 am so we were up and out of here early.  Riley had his nails clipped and got another liver panel done.  Refilled his Amoxicillin prescription. He's sleeping now.  Vet appointments wear him out. The office has an orange tabby cat in the waiting room and there was a woman with a big cage with two parrots checking out.  Very exciting stuff.

I sliced up zucchini and yellow summer squash for another batch of bread and butter pickle.  This batch will be water bath canned.  Even in this heat.  I'll probably be making several batches this month (prime squash growing conditions) to stock up the pantry for the rest of this year and hopefully  until Summer of 20.  Right now G is enjoying the refrigerator cucumber pickles.

We had an overnight leaking faucet on the back of the house.  The plumber came and replaced the whole assembly.  Water here in Maine is very expensive.  Few people water their lawns or wash their cars.  Electricity is very expensive here in Maine, also, and quite a few of the more expensive homes have solar panels on their roof.  It's a hard place to live.  We have pot stores on every street corner though, it seems.

Well, I went to the grocery store after the Vet but seemed to have forgotten to write my coffee and cream on the shopping list.  So, I'll be going back at some point today to get those two things.

It looks-- but looks can deceive-- like the tomato Grow box that fell over face first onto the driveway is "recovering".  The leaves have perked up.  Nothing looks wilted.  We did lose several branches of leaves and tomatoes (tiny and green) but we have the rest of July and all of August to go yet.  My two "hills" of cucumbers are sending tendrils out to climb the supports that G built for them.  I do love to eat small pickling cucumbers warm from the plant.

I have two large zucchini I didn't slice up for pickles--I'll either slice them thin and fry quickly in a hot pan and eat just like that or I can shred them and make zucchini fritters.  Both recipes are delicious. Or I can try the zucchini pizza recipe off the Food52 web feed I get. I remember when I would make a heavy with fat zucchini pizza crust.  Low carb.  Now, I guess it's made with cauliflower crumbs.


1 comment:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

Bless you, you reminded me of zucchini pizza.....my most loved summer thing