Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Sick Day

My eye rash "exploded" overnight and I woke up to red swollen eye sockets.  G gave me an ice pack to try and reduce the swelling and called the doctor.

I was supposed to start work at the greenhouse at noon and the doctor's appointment was for 1:30 so I had to call out sick or go in and scare people with my swollen face.

Turns out--doctor doesn't know what is wrong with my face.  But they are now concerned with my blood pressure.  Which was high (150/90).  I had eaten three cucumbers from the garden haul that G brought in yesterday.  Liberally sprinkled with coarse salt (the way I like my vegetables).  Just before the doctor's visit.  And last night the "food fairy" served up cheese covered nachos and salsa.

I'm not saying this is why my BP was so high but it could have contributed.

Now I am on Prednisone to see if that makes the rash go away.  It is making me more irritable than usual.  G is not impressed.  The doctor suggested wet tea bags on my eyes. My heart is racing from the Prednisone @ 7pm.  The skin around my eyes is dry and irritated (tea bags) but not swollen. I would still scare small children.

On a sweeter note: my Riley has not left my side.  He stayed with me this morning until I got up, through breakfast and cold compresses and after I returned from the doctor and had tea bags on my face.  He watches me with those caring eyes never more than a hand away (so I can reassure him with a pat).  It felt nice to be watched over.

1 comment:

Susan Sawatzky said...

I'm not sure what your other job is but could it be something there? Allergic reaction?

I've broken out in very itchy hives only twice in my life and have never known just what the cause was but the second time I was wearing a blouse I had just bought and wore without washing first. I think it might have been something in the fabric, sizing that caused the hives.