Sunday, April 28, 2013

Working In The Garden


I am trying (with this picture) to channel positive thoughts to the carrot seeds in my garden.  Especially the purple carrots.  Please GROW.  But first, Please GERMINATE.

Today the only WORK I did was to smear brown sugar and enough yellow mustard to make a paste on a ham, stick it with cloves and seal it into a roasting bag I found while cleaning the hall closet.  Why it was in there is beyond me.  Anyway, it worked better than all the HD foil on Easter.  That day the oven turned into a smoke filled sugar burn site.  Three hours at 350 and then another hour "resting".  Tender, moist and delicious.  We each had seconds.  I also made baked sweet potatoes and a green bean casserole subbing 1/2 cup each of sour cream and mayo for the campbell's mushroom soup.  Fewer carbs.  But many more carbs than usual.  But I won't discuss it.

While the ham baked, G and I sat in the sun and then walked down to the garden and I dished up compost tea for the germinating seeds and sprinkled kale seeds over compost in the kale bed.  There are seeds germinating.  But I didn't see any near the stakes that said "carrots".

Next time I walk down to the garden I should be planting my snap peas and my onion seedlings.  And setting out my fennel seedlings.  Those seeds are doing a splendid job!!!

My rhubarb plants (four hills) are popping out of the ground.  Only a few inches tall right now but they are showing promise.  This might be the year they actually produce rhubarb.  I have been quite diligent in my applications of manure and water.  I may add some Fox Farm fertilizer this year.  This is the product line that all the "medicinal" home growers use if you get my drift.

No comments: