The insurance adjuster dug around and found sound beams. He also explained what happened as the moist air in a winter house traveled up and into the bead board above the chimney and then got stuck under the framing for the skylight. Couldn't continue up to the roof peak, so the moist air traveled south to the cricket. And made mold and wood rot where it could.
We also got to hear about bathroom vents ( in other home owner's homes, not mine) that are vented into the attic and not up through the roof. Mold.
Anyway. Our home inspector should have noticed the moisture problem and the out of code chimney. If G knows where the inspection report is--we can try and sue the inspector. Not likely.