Friday, August 24, 2012

The Exuberance Of Flowers

These very tall daisy-ish flowers were never actually planted.  They hitchhiked in with something a friend gave me.  At first I only had a few.  Now this entire bed is over run with them.  They are cousins to Jerusalem artichokes.  The tuber that can never really be removed from a garden.  In the spring I pull and pull and pull as many of the small plants and tubers as I can.  And still--there are so many that reach maturity.  About five feet tall.  Tons of dancing daisies up above the green foliage.  The deer ignore them.  In the back you see the windows of my sunporch and the "chimney that needs to come down".  The house is not this color.  This is the color I wanted, but I have a more shortbread colored house. Too yellow.  Not enough pale silvery cream-- like this photo.

The good news is that these daisies have managed to choke out the Obedient Plant.

It is hot at work.  I keep hoping the cooler mornings will translate into cooler afternoons as well.  The Thunderbirds are flying overhead.  It's another stupid airshow weekend here in my little Town.  I wish they would give it a rest.  Fireworks tonight.  Since we live 6000 feet from the end of the runway there is little peace and quiet in my yard or at work.  And it is disconcerting to be sitting in one's car at a traffic light and see 6 fighter jets scream across the road in front of you.   Our trees have grown in the 20 years we have lived in this house and I don't have the bird's eye view of the planes as I once did.  We hear the screaming engines but can't see the planes (below the tree line).  The Air Force planes aren't as loud as the Navy planes.  Yesterday G and I watched the planes go up in the starburst (from our back yard) and over the top we could see a commercial jet.  This pale ghost shape of a big 747.  Now, that was an amazing photo.  I hope someone got it.  G thought the airshow space was supposed to be "no fly".  And, I have never before seen a commercial jet look like that.  I have seen the jet trail but never the plane's body.  Startling.

I have my resume and artist statement ready.  I still need to add binding to my piece.  I don't know what I want to do.  Facing.  Pillowcase.  Mitered binding.  I don't want to detract from the Carrots.  The frame that "10 by 10" puts on the work will cover any binding I add so it's not really important.  If someone buys my work, the frame is included.   It's these picky little details I don't enjoy at all. I was visiting a blog and saw that she added facing and then stitched a square over the back to cover most of the facing.  The quilter thought it added "substance" to the small piece.  Made it less of a potholder is what she was trying to say.  It ALWAYS comes down to that.  No one tries to wipe up the counter with a small watercolor but they always think a small fiber work is a potholder (and larger works are placemats).

Breakfast yesterday was fresh ripe tomatoes (Arkansas Travelers) with fresh mozzarella and basil.  This morning the remainder of that large container of sliced cucumbers, sour cream and dill.  G and I went to our regular Italian restaurant yesterday.  But I didn't have the fried cheese with marinara and I didn't have the fried eggplant Parm.  I had a large salad and the lobster in sherry cream sauce minus the puff pastry.  I had broccoli alongside.  I have been NEARLY "wheat free" for about four days now.  I am still adding Bran Buds to my yogurt at lunch.  I feel different.  I have no idea if it's good or just different.  I am VERY hungry in the morning.  I am not eating enough protein or fat during the day.  I am not craving any foods so that isn't an issue.  Not retaining water (rings are loose and ankles aren't swollen).

Watching 2002 (first season) of L&O Criminal Intent.  Watching season one of Luther on BBCA and have managed to set the TiVo to record season one of L&O UK on BBCA but haven't watched it yet.  These are very good things in my little world.





No comments: