Sunday, April 08, 2012

Lets Just Start Over, From The Beginning

A reader included this sign in an email she sent me.  Is this a good thing or not? LOL.  I like it.  It sounds like me.  Or the me I want to be.

I have spent the morning grilling the red and yellow peppers I purchased at Walmart along with two very large yellow onions.  I have been enjoying the grilled onions and peppers I buy frozen at Trader Joes, and thought that I could do it "myself".  The ingredients on the TJ packaging was onions, red peppers, green peppers, yellow peppers.  Wally World didn't have any green peppers.  My grilled vegetables tastes good.

The little teflon frying pan I have been using to make breakfast eggs in for the past 11 plus months has lost it's non stickiness.  I like to let the eggs and sausage and onion get nice and brown on the bottom and not runny at all on top and then flip it over, turn off the heat and let it finish up.  Not happening now.  The eggs get all scrambled (which I don't like) and my breakfasts have been less than happy for weeks now.  I think I need to buy a new pan.

My diet is going nowhere.  Same four pound range for so long that I can't even remember other numbers on the scale.  Up four pounds.  Down four pounds.  Over and over.  No matter what I try.  More protein. More fat.  Less carbs.  No diet soda.  Green tea. Less cheese.  The only thing I do KNOW is that the third of a cup of bran buds I sometimes add to my yogurt makes me fart.  I must actually BE intolerant of wheat. So that mystery (if it was one) is solved.  I also don't really MISS sugar.  Amazing, yet true.

I checked out a few sites and now have FOOL proof recipes for  1. Poached eggs (which require buttered toast)  2. Soft boiled eggs (which also require toast or buttered grits)  3. Hard boiled eggs.  None of these eggs are actually BOILED at all.  The water is brought to 80 degrees for the poached eggs and brought to a boil and then immediately removed from the heat, to continue sitting in the hot water (covered) for 6 minutes (soft boiled egg) to 12 minutes for a fully cooked yolk.   Old eggs are best for boiled eggs (easier to peel).  If you place your eggs in a bowl of water, the older eggs will float.  I am eager to find out if my eggs float or sink.  A "hard boiled egg" (which is never boiled) is a very high protein/high fat food item, excellent for the Atkins diet.  But, extremely difficult for me to choke down.  I actually am craving XC Kentucky Fried Wings today.  Four to six of them.

I brought home two past issues of Harper's magazine.  One had a very long article on fasting.  I fasted once for 6 weeks, I think.  Lost over 50 pounds and felt generally okay except when I felt woozy.  My teeth felt loose and my hair fell out (so gradually that only the person cutting my hair noticed) but in an amazing period of 6 weeks I went from a size 18 to a size 6 or 8.  I was tempted, by the serendipity of finding the article in a random magazine, to try it again.  For only 10 days to 2 weeks.   It's still just a thought and it may be extremely difficult to do while working.  But I am considering it.

Right now I am considering folding the white load of wash , drying the darks and ironing the shirts.  I may even change the bedsheets.  Cloudy, chilly and damp here in Maine.  Feel like I should have a sweater on over my sweater.

No comments: