Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Antique Shades of Pansy

On my deck.  Yes, the deck is wet but not from rain.  We are in the midst of a "heatwave" and it hit 80 degrees today (the greenhouse was close to 100 or it just felt that way).  Not a welcoming drop of rain in sight.  These pansies make me smile each and every time I see them.  My grandmother loved pansies as much as I do.  But she grew them from seed.

My skin feels dry and parched after a day of unseasonal heat.  Yesterday my walking buddy and I had lunch and conversation on the deck of the Seadog overlooking the river.  I had the sun on my face.  So, I am getting brown as a walnut and it is only April 17.  Income Tax Day.

I took some Airbourne yesterday and my cold is significantly better.  I did get a few mosquito bites and a strange rash on my arm, at work, just to keep me on my toes, healthwise.  I would have given anything for a very large McD's iced coffee today at around 2 pm.  Instead I was asked if I had good handwriting and if I could spell.  And that's how I ended up using a Sharpie marker and writing the names of the seed potatoes on the potato bags.  Then rolling down the top of the bags into a neat "cuff".  Can an employer actually ask a person those questions? It was a pleasant diversion from my usual work.  And I was sitting right in the middle of the garden center--easily available for questions.  I even got to figure out the cubic volume of a garden bed that was 4 feet by 8 feet by 20 inches.  Does this even come up in today's high schools?  I am beginning to worry about the "premier" education being delivered at my local schools.  Which I pay taxes to support.

G picked up the dog today and I picked up a Quick Dinner at the grocery.  G got a container of chicken wings from the Wing Bar and a cup of Summer Slaw which he likes.  Also a wedge of carrot cake.  I got a half pound of thinly sliced ham to roll up around a slab of cheddar from Ireland and a roasted chicken breast which I shredded and mixed with mayo (lots) and honey.  Not supposed to have honey but I adore the taste of chicken salad with honey.  Dreamy.  And you know I don't really like chicken so this has to be GOOD.

As an added attraction at the Deli Counter was a brand new employee.   He was just personality plus.  A real Hoot.  A definite improvement to the personality deficit (serial killer type) former Deli employees. He was nervous and was over explaining why he was taking so long--but everyone has a first day/week in a new job.  And I wasn't complaining.  A new friendly, animated person at the deli counter is good news.  Last time I was there, I asked the young, pierced and tattooed clerk to read the carb count off the the ham packaging.  I should have waited and asked the new guy.  We could have bonded over carbs.  Now I am looking forward to future visits to the Deli.  And I never thought I would be saying that.  You just never know when life will surprise you with a little treat.

I am now going to reheat some breakfast coffee and watch television.  G is completely involved with his iPad.  Riley is fast asleep.  He gets really tired in the summer when it's hot.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Love those pansies, must get some of those.
It was so warm down this way that we put the window a/c in to cool down the second floor for more comfortable sleeping.

Rather interesting descriptions of your deli personnel, maybe over descriptions is more like it!

Samantha said...

I just met the new deli guy to and made him hungry describing what I would be doing with my ham - Poorman's Cordon Bleu: ham and cheese wrapped around the grocery's chicken tenders. He was very full of personality, fun, and a very nice change of pace. But I have to say the be-pierced deli guy has always been very helpful for me, not surly once but he is more on the quiet side.

Joanne S said...

What a great idea for the ham and cheese wrapped chicken tenders! I have got to try that. Why have I not thought of it before now?

I haven't seen the guy again. Good to know he's still working.