Sunday, January 29, 2012

Feels Good To Be Home

Riley is enjoying his morning, on his bed.  He has even been snoring softly.  I think his dog snores are some of the sweetest sounds, especially today.  Yesterday was a blur.  G and I were both exhausted from the plane rides and then the stuff we needed to do to "get back" into this life.  The grocery store wasn't what I would call "a good time" and it was very expensive to restock the house.  Everything, yesterday, seemed very expensive.  We watched some TiVo and were tucked into bed by 10 pm.

My headache is gone (mostly).  I have almost everything we took on vacation washed, a new battery in the scale (up 3.5 pounds), the floors need a vacuum, the Christmas tree needs to be hauled outside and the bathrooms need a complete scrubbing.  That's my list for the coming week along with shirts to iron.

The 12 by 20 project is being revealed on Feb 12 so I need to work on that.  See how the piece has "aged" as it sat pinned to the design wall while I was away.  I also promised some fabric art pictures to my friend's mom.  I taught her to quilt and she has made more quilts than I could even dream of making.  Now, she wants to see the things I make.  Via, the internet.

G has been on the internet looking at the expensive coffee maker our friends had in Florida.  The coffee was excellent.  One cup at a time.  A refurbished (used) one is "only" $600.  I think they cost several thousand, new.  Another friend has ordered three.  One for each of his houses.  See, we just can't keep up and I don't even want to try.

G is taking a shower and we'll, all three of us, be going out for a walk in the woods when he is done and dressed.  The sun is shining and it's somewhere in the 30's.  Very, very unusual for Maine in late January. February is right on our doorstep.   I need to make a few lunch dates with friends.  My daughter wants us to see a movie together (One For The Money) and we'd like to treat her to a nice dinner for all the driveway shoveling.  February sounds busy already, huh?

I stayed true to the low carb diet while on vacation and didn't eat pizza, French baguette or Italian pasta while everyone around me DID.  I did treat myself to a serving of dark chocolate gelato at the end of a huge party meal on Las Olas Blvd at Cafe Europa.  That was my only splurge.  And it was totally divine. I ventured off the diet to have wonderful grapefruit, honeydew melon and two juicy peaches.  I told everyone to just ignore me and go about ordering what they wanted and enjoyed.  They did.  I ordered what I wanted and we were all happy.  I think the extra pounds are from all the wine and cocktails.  I tried to order mixed drinks that didn't contain too much sugar, but even a little will certainly mess up the Atkins Diet.  Now, I can just resume normal (low carb) eating and move on.  I thought it was going to be impossible to stay on the plan, but it was very easy.

I wrote here that I was saddened and perplexed that no one mentioned my weight loss.  But after reading the comments made by my most thoughtful Readers, I now agree that I am still the Joanne they know and love and that was all that was important about me.  Not my weight.  They were just as kind and sweet to me when I was a size 2X as they were this past week. And my short grey hair was what they spoke of most.  Too short.

3 comments:

Terry Grant said...

I think friends, who really love you, don't always notice things like weight loss or gain because they see you for who you are, not in physical terms. It is really a measure of their acceptance and affection.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

I so agree with Terry's comment. And, welcome back.

Diane N said...

Somehow I can't imagine you with three houses, a multi-thousand dollar coffeemaker or any of the other trappings that go along with wretched excess. It's fun to dream but when push comes to shove...

As for none of your friends commenting on your weight loss, how long has it been since they saw you? Maybe they just don't remember that you were heavier or maybe it just didn't seem that important to them because they were just very glad to see you and enjoy your company. For myself, I remember what people do and say and how they made me feel and I usually can't remember how much they weighed or what they wore.

I love Riley's picture today. He is glad to be home!