Monday, July 04, 2011

Yarrow, Tutti-Frutti Pomegranate

The yarrows are "in color" right now.  Their blooms aren't exactly what we think of as flowers, having that dry flat-top look to them.  Yarrow will grow even in the coldest zones (to -40).  This one will grow to 25 inches tall and width of 28 inches eventually.  Drought tolerant, full sun.  Vigorous, yet compact.  The magenta red flowers are the thing that made me bring this yarrow home last week.   They are nice planted with salvia, black eyed susan and cushion spurge.

I worked very hard to stay on track with Atkins yesterday.  Watching, very carefully, the carbs I was actually consuming.  The Splenda and cream in my coffee.  The Crystal Light lemonade and iced tea.  One gram of carb in every 8 ounces and I was drinking 8 cups a day or two quarts of the stuff.  EIGHT carbs right there.  And I missed counting any of them.  No wonder the scale is showing so little loss.

I believed what this guy on the video was saying but when I went to read the containers they have NO CARBS.  So I can drink this stuff and have CALORIES (which he says have to come from somewhere and be something and that is usually a carb) but NO CARBS.   Not all information is correct on the Internet.  I bought an additional flavor today at the grocery store--Pink Lemonade.   Now it may turn out that the 5 calories per cup are stabilizers added to the sweeteners (which seems like a lot).  And that they maybe carbs.  But today, tomorrow and the rest of the week, here in my house, Crystal Light will be zero carbs.  Any  diabetics out there with more information?

My reward for yesterday?  Half a pound less on the scale this morning.

G and I had an early dinner at Ruby Tuesday (we had a coupon).  I had steak, two sides of vegetables and the salad bar.  The only things I could put on my salad were cheese and diced HB egg.  Plus salad dressing.  Because I was having two vegetables with my steak.

After eating (and drinking water) we visited Goodwill.  I found a green, quarter zip fleece pullover to wear to work.  It's the same green as the company tee shirts so will be recognizable as a "company" uniform to customers.  Also in the men's department, I found an expensive "travel/fishing/hunting" type shirt with an air vented back and roll up, button, at various lengths, sleeves.  It's that nylon quick dry fabric.  The only drawback were the front, gusseted pockets.  On me, they looked like deflated African breasts.  All flat and hanging down to my waist.  Not the best look.  I still wanted the shirt.  So, after a good wash at home, I carefully removed the pockets.  Can't even see where they were stitched to the front.  Excellent.

My quick dry pants got stains on them at work and my attempts to remove the stains only made more stains.  Oh, well, win some and lose some.  I will still wear them as they are cooler than regular pants and better than wearing shorts.  My legs really aren't something people should have to look at.  The shorts I bought in the spring are also quick dry and I seem to have purchased the XL instead of the XXL.  So they are fitting pretty good.  I just wish the leg was longer and came closer to covering my fat, lumpy knees.  I thought about wearing knee length leggings under the shorts.  I'm not sure how that would look to people.  There is a very petite Asian woman who wears loose leggings under even looser shorts.  Perhaps the "looseness" is the key to a good look.

I found another recipe for an Atkins Bread on the internet last night.  Oopsie Rolls.  A mistake in the making of Revolution Rolls.  I plan to try them today to eat with my 4th of July burgers.  If made correctly they stand up well to any burger you want to eat.  You can take them with you to any fast food place and switch the burger to these Oopsie buns and eat away.  Red Robin burgers.  Wendy's Baconators.  Absolutely point six net carbs per roll.  Two equals 1.2 net carbs.  I am making four and eating all four of them for 2.4 net carbs.  I am saving my 4 ounces of cheese for dinner.  Two ounces of cream cheese for the rolls and 2 ounces of American for the burger toppings.

Which reminds me--time to cook some breakfast.  Bacon and eggs on a MIM.

There was something on the forums that cracked me up more than the "heaving (whip) cream".  The Oopsie rolls need cream of tartar to whip egg whites.  A reader said they didn't have cream of tartar but did have tartar sauce and wondered if that would work with the egg whites.  People who don't cook are so funny.

No comments: