Friday, July 29, 2011

Ricochet

My William Sonoma catalog had a bunch of evocative photos of tables.  Inviting me to pull up a chair and sip some wine, share a plate of food and perhaps a few laughs.  An excellent way to spend a summer evening.  Tables and chairs are some of my favorite objects.  I love this French chair with it's bent wood frame and X along the back.  And the table looks so sturdy.

I hadn't looked at the catalog previous to going to the grocery after work.  But I was thinking of a large casserole of homemade meatballs and sauce.
Not my meatballs, yet, but soon I will be mixing, rolling, frying and making red sauce.  These are WS meatballs pictured along side the recipe in the catalog.  Served with gnocchi.  I'll be serving mine with pasta for G and just meatballs for me.

I continue to smile at work (and weirdly enough, shed a few tears) as I am very emotional.  The Bubblegum Pink window box guy called yesterday because he just wanted to let me know the window boxes look better than they have EVER looked (and they have always looked good) and he wanted me to know how pleased he is with my work.  And a frequent caller (she asks for me by name now) with questions regarding her perennials let me know how much she values the time I spend with her on the phone.

Yesterday I had to make "identical twin" arrangements with perennials for two inseparable twin sisters, 61, found dead earlier this week in Portland.  No apparent cause of death.  Each had married and had a son and daughter.  They dressed the same, even at 61.  When the sister who called to order the funeral flowers said "they released the bodies" I knew things were not going to be normal.  I hadn't been reading the local papers and did finally see the article regarding the finding of the two bodies.  A real mystery.

G has purchased the new "lion" operating system for my iMac along with a MagicTrackpad.  I am still using the mouse for most things and the MagicTrackpad to swish my finger tips along to get the pages to move on the computer screen.  Yesterday, I gave up in frustration.  All I had wanted to do was read my blogs and it turned into a "challenge" instead of a fun thing to do at the end of a day.

That's why I titled this post Ricochet.  The meatball picture was just moved to a "new spot" while I tried to look at something I had previously written.  I give up trying to put it where I had it.  One nice, new, bit is that when I misspell something the correct spelling appears directly under the misspelled word.  Less time with the dictionary this way.  I am traveling, pretty quickly, between being content and being frustrated.

I am "crazy" happy with my bathroom now that the bathtub (used twice in 20 years, once for a bath and once to wash a puppy) is CLEAN and EMPTY.  It looks so wide, deep and white now.  I had to wash and empty it of piles of clothing etc in case the window guy comes this week to measure the windows.  Whenever I empty a room, I am really happy with the emptiness.  Odd, because I like collecting "stuff" which is how they get full.  And trashy.

It is supposed to rain today.  I have laundry, meatballs, shirts to iron and a book to read. I'm now traveling to 1160 Medieval England/Wales for mystery.  And after watching Zen on Masterpiece Mystery, I may read those Roman mysteries.  I think I prefer actually watching Rufus Sewell.  I think he played an evil guy in that Heath Ledger medieval "rock" movie, (a favorite of mine).  "We Shall Rock You" in the lists. G and I watched the first episode last night.  G worked in Rome for an entire year (when he was "an important person") and he enjoyed seeing "the sights" during the episode.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Ooooh, that table is so inviting, I could pull up one of those gorgeous chairs and start chowing down.

Revel in the compliments and praise, that's why it's given.

I heard about those sisters too, very strange, huh?

Keep smiling.

: )

dee said...

Just loving the new blog look. Very sophisticated. Wouldn't I love to live in a WIlliams SOnoma house? yes yes yes however reality keeps squashing that dream. Also, I would need a housekeeper. Now there's a good idea. Roger always told me to get one but thought I wuld most likely clean before the housekeeper came. I couldn't argue-I would do that. Must be the German genes at work.

So happy to read that you are getting compliments. It's lovely to be appreciated