Saturday, July 09, 2011

Wow!!

 Tried another of the "new" low carb invented foods tonight.  I didn't think it had much of a chance of being successful.  Cauliflower Pizza Crust.

Cooked, finely chopped or grated cup of cauliflower, one egg and one cup shredded mozzarella cheese. Mixed into a "dough" and patted onto a sheet of parchment paper and slipped onto the pizza stone at 450 for 15 to 20 minutes.  Then add the toppings.  Next time I will saute all the toppings in a skillet so they are already cooked. I normally don't have pepperoni but on Atkins you need to eat a certain percentage of fat each day.  I hadn't had any at all today. The recipe suggests a few minutes under the broiler to brown and melt the cheese topping.

I took the crust out early, added pepperoni, onion, mushroom and peppers plus a small amount of cheese. then I baked the whole thing for ten more minutes.   I could have left it in a few minutes longer, I think.

I blotted off all the oil from the pepperoni (not the biggest fan of grease) and let the pizza sit to firm up.   I did have to eat it with a fork, but it was PIZZA!.   And the crust was very tasty and almost "bready".   Eight net carbs for the crust. Most of my toppings were salad vegetables.  My pizza sauce has 5 nc per 1/4 cup and I used one Tablespoon of sauce but you can buy or make a pizza sauce with 3 nc per 1/4 cup.

Next Saturday I am making the Cauliflower Breadsticks and eating them with low carb Marinara sauce alongside a Greek Salad.   One of my all time favorite take out meals.

Now that I am experimenting ---- the diet is getting to be more appetizing.

Work tomorrow from 8:30 to 5.  Eighty Five Degrees.  It'll be 110 degrees in the potting bench corner. So hot you just want to die.  But tonight, it's going down to 50 so we'll sleep really good.  Good Night!

No comments: