Saturday, October 30, 2010

Walk In The Woods

Yesterday, Friday, I walked in the woods with Riley and G, getting used to Riley off leash.  He stayed close to G and on the path in front of us, mostly, but veered off a few times but never out of sight.  When I let him off leash on another path (just Riley and I), Riley ran off, out of sight and I was afraid I had lost him each and every time.  Finally, I treated him and leashed him on one of his dashing returns.  He didn't seem to mind.  I felt better and we finished the walk.  G says that's the way it began for him, also.  Heart stopping fear, blowing the whistle for a "return" and being thankful to see the dog running to him.  And leashing him.  Riley now is more concerned with losing sight of G.

We found some open Chestnut casings.  There is a small "stand" of Chestnut trees in the woods we call the Town Commons.  They grow to a certain size (saplings) and then die of chestnut blight.  There is a new variety of Chestnut planted (by someone else who thought, thinks, our property is his property) and we are watching to see if this tree survives.

Yesterday, Friday, G and I worked in the garden doing pre winter cleaning and planting.  I finally planted my garlic.  G planted the tulips and today he is planting some crocus.  Then we cleaned ourselves up and went out to a nice "early bird" dinner.  Drinks, food, coffee and Creamsicle Cheesecake.  A shared piece.  Then we went into Reny's and bought SmartWool socks for $2-3 less than anywhere else.

Today, Saturday, I woke up at 5 am and then 7 am.  I needed to be at work at 8 am.  I taught my final class of the 2010 season on Putting the Garden to Bed.  A very senior citizen held her hand up at the very end and stated, matter of fact, that in all the 6 or 8 years she has been coming to "these classes", (and this is where my anxiety levels went on alert), I was by far the best instructor my employer had ever had.  Wow!!  And they even said the same up front at the cash register as they bought things. I had lunch and watered the greenhouse completely, ordered flowers for Monday and the left at 2:30 for the day.  I now have the next two days off.  I told everyone at work, I was practicing for being unemployed.  And laughed out loud.  It felt good to laugh like that.  Joyfully.  Fully engaged.  Been a long time.

Life is good today.  I have lots to do, but I'm not here alone.  Being here with someone else (G) is always better.  We'll take a Sunday and Monday walk together with Riley in the woods.  I'll cook or we'll go out to eat.  We'll enjoy life.  Together.  Because we work to live.  We don't, any longer, live to work.  That makes a difference.

And a bit of a rant:  I am DISGUSTED that the judges gave the Project Runway win to Gretchen.  As soon as they announced it, I turned the television off.  I may not watch in future.

No comments: