Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween - Post 951

I started the day's "to do" list with some pumpkin carving.  And now that I have pumpkin seeds I can roast them in the oven for a wonderful salty, crunchy snack while watching Sherlock on PBS tonight.  After I work on my 12 by 12 for the reveal tomorrow. Busy.

G, Riley and I have just gotten home from our walk in the woods.  Colder than Friday but by the time we got home, I was sweating. And my tummy was rumbling for lunch.  We have leftover pot roast and leftover Thanksgiving dinner to finish for our lunch today.  G has end of the month this afternoon so Riley and I will be Tricking & Treating on our own later in the day.  I may have to give away some of my Tootsie Roll minis. Boo!

Today is also the first day of deer hunting season, but no hunting on Sunday.  The hunters will have to wait until tomorrow to start shooting in the woods and we will have to dress in DAYGLO ORANGE for the next 30 days.  What a waste of a good month for the rest of us.  Though it's been years since a non hunter has been shot in their own yard it still could happen. We used to hear the automatic rifle fire in the woods behind the house in the first 5 or so years we lived here.  Pretty scary. I think there are rules, but when you are drunk--the rules don't seem to matter.  Drunk hunting is pretty much the deal the first week.

I opened my journal this morning to write something.  I have been neglecting the art journal this month and the pages I have worked on, aren't all that arty.  So, I'm going to try and do a better job in the pen and paper journal in November.  In that journal I can say all the things that aren't PC enough for the blog.  On the blog I have to censor myself. Like I could say worse stuff about the hunters.

G asked me to make him a floral arrangement to take to work today to replace the Spooky House which has been on the end of the service counter all of October.  I wanted a turkey but couldn't find a fake one in the house. Ha!  So I ended up using a black and gold crow cart (Big Lots circa 2002?), finally found some styrofoam (looking in attic for what seemed like an hour) and clipped some yellow, white and gold silk mums short and made an arrangement.  Added the two large turkey feathers I had over the wood stove.  So, in a strange way, I "found" a turkey.  I mentioned to G that one of the crow legs on the cart was loose.  I glued it but these Chinese made things don't seem to like Elmer's glue.

I have had about 20 Tootsie Rolls and about a dozen pumpkin seeds since eating lunch at 2 pm.  Seriously.  And I decided my 12 by 12 idea wasn't very good once I started actually laying pieces of fabric next to each other.  Too matchy matchy.  This is what happens when you are given a specific color combo and not a theme that lets "you be you".

I viewed the working process of Susan Shie on her blog.  Using the air brush and paint to create the entire thing and then it is quilted.  Interesting.  Not the way I thought it was made and not the size I thought the pieces were.  And somehow I had gotten the idea that she was nearly blind and her husband helped with the work.  He doesn't.  Or at least he didn't with this work.  At all.  Where did I get this idea???  Anyone know?

Well, the 12 by 12 is calling and I have a missing brown wool sock.

No comments: