Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Zen of Saturday

Nothing scheduled but walking the dog. I have Saturday and Sunday off this week and next. Two days. Next to each other. It really is the simple things that have the most impact.

P says the Concord grapes are ready. On Sunday we'll pick them and see if there are enough for grape jelly making. She also has peaches on her tree. I tried peach preserves last year and they came out runny. Still good but would have been better if they had been thicker. The greenhouse customers with the promised "bushel of quince" haven't shown up so no quince preserves this year, either. I did manage two batches of zucchini bread and butter pickles. And NO freezer bags of cherry tomatoes this year. I usually have 10 to 12 quarts of frozen tomatoes. One or two bags for each month of winter suppers. Evidence of the year with no summer.

I do want to make a streusel topped apple pie today. And use lots of butter in the topping.

I made a pot roast yesterday and set it to cook out on the sun porch all day in the crock pot. It was delicious. I arrived home from work (in the dark) at 6:30 and peeled potatoes and made coleslaw while still wearing my coat. We ate just before 7:30. G has a cold and he finished washing the dishes and went directly to bed. I read the paper and watched Project Runway and fell asleep on the couch.

Riley is grumbling over there. Wanting his lunch and a walk. It's the least I can do.

I had mountains of stuff written and finally just deleted it all and wrote this. It was all rambling stuff without any meaning. I think the delete key is the most important key on this blog. Second to the "publish post" key.

My bowl today is filled with rest and rejuvenation. And perhaps some reading and pie baking. The sun has just appeared so the walk with Riley will be extra beautiful with all the fall colors.
Don't worry. I'm content. I may even roast a pile of butternut squash chunks for lunch.

3 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Rest and rejuvenation: Very good.

Project Runway: Not very good.

What do you think?

dee said...

I'm undecided on Project Rnway this time. Can't decide if I like it when they're bitchy at each other or this more tame version. None of the designers really blew me away with anything yet.
I have very short hair much like Terry Grant-can't imagine how brainless it is to think that implies you're a lesbian???? Do have a good friend who says that if it weren't for sex, men would be fairly useless....hmmm. Further evaluation may be needed. She has long hair though(har)and a creepy husband.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

When I saw the picture on this post I thought maybe you were back to art making. Art is therapy, cheaper than the other kind of therapy. Even pasting colors from magazines in a notebook stimulates the art genes. I'm a loner (and have short hair) so my art is my best friend. Because I was a seamstress in the past too, mindless sewiing on bed quilts makes me happy too.