Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Very Nice Sunday in October

Yesterday I peeled, seeded and sliced three very small butternut squash. I think my weedy garden produced around 8 small butternuts this year. Anyway, after slicing them, I added some olive oil and salt and pepper and rubbed each slice and then drizzled the lot with pancake syrup. I do live here in one of the states that makes maple syrup but I don't like it. the pan then went in the oven at 425 for 50 minutes. Then I ate them all.

I also peeled, cored and sliced apples for a pie. The crumb crust on top is perfect but the filling is very liquidy and even though it all tastes good--it's not really a successful pie since I can't serve up a nice wedge to anyone. Just a scoop of glop.

The black bean bisque came out a bit too salty. Nice and deep and musky nevertheless but too salty. I was watching too many cooking shows and they all sprinkle salt like new fallen snow over everything. And then I do it. It will even out after I go grocery shopping today and buy more half and half or cream. The bisque is supposed to have cream in it. I used the last for G's tomato soup.

G is coughing all over the kitchen (he has a cold) so there are germs everywhere. He always gets sick. I am trying to stay as far away from him as I can.

I do want to plant my daffodil bulbs today, take a shower and either read or sew some little circles. No cooking. No dog walking.

I have to go to work tomorrow for the 12 to 6 shift. That means driving home in the dark again. I have astigmatism and night driving is difficult. I missed my turnoff on Friday and had to drive way out of my way to get to another turnoff near my home. That's the way it is in Maine. Only one chance to get home. All roads go north and south and very few go east and west. And then I still have to prepare a meal. I could follow K's example and have G bring home take out. And we could eat it while watching television (like we usually do-- only we watch the news and she watches taped soaps). K's husband is better at bringing home take out than my G is. And there is more local take out to choose from in her town in Georgia and R loves to shop. G hates take out because the food is never hot (just reheated) and he prefers to go out and eat. More expensive. I don't want to go out again after coming home.

As you can see, G and I have very little in common when it comes to food. We even eat different soups on soup night. And different lettuce and fixings in our salads on salad night. And entirely different pizza on pizza night (from the dough to the toppings). And when I fix chicken for him (his favorite meat) I have to make something else for me (I don't like chicken). This is what I LOVED most about my 10 day vacation. Not dealing with cooking. I could have the freedom of having a bowl of cereal for supper and not have to think of anyone else.

Now, if you think all that is difficult-- add in my daughter's likes and dislikes -- when she comes to eat, usually on holidays. Otherwise, she will eat any leftovers of my food (not her father's), unless I have added beans, rice, onion in recognizable form, nuts, bulgur, kale or beets. Which I add or say I have added when I feel passive/aggressive.

All right, I have vented enough for one day. I had oatmeal for breakfast today and when G asked if I had eaten, that's what I told him. Even though I had wanted blueberry pancakes and bacon.

We have leftover pot roast for later. And I can get something for lunch when I shop. But right now, I'm finishing my coffee and heading for the shower.

No comments: